It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
- The Barkleys of Broadway
directed by Charles Walters
starring: Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Oscar Levant
- The Secret Garden
directed by Fred M. Wilcox
starring: Margaret O'Brien, Herbert Marshall, Dean Stockwell
directed by Mark Robson
starring: Kirk Douglas, Arthur Kennedy, Marilyn Maxwell
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
directed by Tay Garnett
starring: Bing Crosby, Rhonda Fleming, Cedric Hardwicke
- The Set-Up
directed by Robert Wise
starring: Robert Ryan, Audrey Totter, George Tobias
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Thursday, 28 April 1949 ?
- Arbor Day - legal state holiday in Nebraska, USA.
- National Heroes Day - public holiday in Barbados in honor of men and women who played a significant role in the island nation's history, such as Sir Garfield Sobers.
- Peter Chanel
- Louis Marie Grignon of Montfort
- Saints Vitalis and Valeria
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Theodora and Didymus
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work, which developed from the Canadian observance.
- National Day of Mourning in Canada to commemorate workers killed, injured, or suffering illness due to occupational hazards and accidents.
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Jam�l (Beauty) - First day of the third month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Roman Empire - first day of the Floralia in honor of Flora.
Famous People born
Jerome "Jay" Apt in Springfield
- Brooklyn, Commish Chandler suspends Durocher but he is absolved on May 3 New York fan charges Leo Durocher with assault after Giants lose 15-2 to
- Former First Lady of the Philippines Aurora Quezon, 61, is assassinated while en route to dedicate a hospital in memory of her late husband; her daughter and 10 others are also killed.
: Massachusetts, USA; PhD/astronaut (STS 37, 47, 59, 79).
: American actor
: American actor (d. 2006)
Famous People died
: First Lady of the Philippines (Born 1888)
What news were making the headlines those days in April 1949 ?
TIME Magazine Cover: Eugene Dennis -- Apr. 25, 1949
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
by Mika Waltari
First published in the United States in 1949 and widely condemned as obscene, The Egyptian outsold every other novel published that year, and remains a classic; readers worldwide have testified to its life-changing power.
The Big Fisherman
by Lloyd C. Douglas
A perennial favourite with wide appeal from Lloyd C. Douglas. The basis for a movie of the same title directed by Frank Borzage.
by Sholem Asch
With "Mary," Sholem Asch concludes his trilogy on the founding of Christianity. In “The Nazarene” he portrayed the crucifixion from several point s of view—a Roman Centurion, a young Judean student and the rabbinical authorities who witnessed the rise of Jesus with alarm.
A Rage to Live
by John O'Hara
A huge bestseller when it first appeared in 1949, A Rage to Live is a large-scale social chronicle of America set against the backdrop of Fort Penn, Pennsylvania, a city with a dynamic history, both public and personal.
Lane Cedar Hope Chest Graduate (1949)
Old Fitzgerald Christmas Kentuckys Key (1949)
Tell the world why Thursday, 28 April 1949 is such a special date for you!