Friday 28 April 1961
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Cathy Gerring in Fort Wayne and Futoshi Matsunaga.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Runaway by Del Shannon.
In UK Wooden Heart by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
The Beast of Yucca Flats, directed by Coleman Francis, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Ernie Kovacs Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 April 1961!
Which were the important events of 28 April 1961 ?
- Arbor Day - legal state holiday in Nebraska, USA.
- National Heroes Day - public holiday in Barbados in honor of men and women who played a significant role in the island nation's history, such as Sir Garfield Sobers.
- Peter Chanel
- Louis Marie Grignon of Montfort
- Saints Vitalis and Valeria
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Theodora and Didymus
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work, which developed from the Canadian observance.
- National Day of Mourning in Canada to commemorate workers killed, injured, or suffering illness due to occupational hazards and accidents.
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Jam�l (Beauty) - First day of the third month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Roman Empire - first day of the Floralia in honor of Flora.
- Cathy Gerring in Fort Wayne: Indiana, USA; LPGA golfer (1990 Lady Keystone Open).
- Futoshi Matsunaga: Japanese serial killer.
- Anna Oxa: Italian singer and actress.
- Lt Col Gueorgui Mossolov takes E-66A to 34,714 m altitude
- Warren Spahn pitches second no-hitter at age 41, beats San Francisco Giants, 1-0.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- The Marcels - Blue Moon
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Clarence Frogman Henry - But I Do
- Floyd Cramer - On The Rebound
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Linda Scott - I've Told Every Little Star
- Brenda Lee - You Can Depend On Me
- Adam Wade - Take Good Care Of Her
- Ray Charles - One Mint Julep
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?