Friday 28 April 1989
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Kim Sung-kyu and Emil Salomonsson.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Like A Prayer by Madonna.
In UK Eternal Flame by The Bangles was in the top 5 hits.
Field of Dreams, directed by Phil Alden Robinson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Take Me Home.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Dragon Spirit: The New Legend or Gang Wars.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 April 1989!
Which were the important events of 28 April 1989 ?
- Arbor Day - legal state holiday in Nebraska, USA.
- National Heroes Day - public holiday in Barbados in honor of men and women who played a significant role in the island nation's history, such as Sir Garfield Sobers.
- Peter Chanel
- Louis Marie Grignon of Montfort
- Saints Vitalis and Valeria
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saints Theodora and Didymus
- World Day for Safety and Health at Work, which developed from the Canadian observance.
- National Day of Mourning in Canada to commemorate workers killed, injured, or suffering illness due to occupational hazards and accidents.
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Jam�l (Beauty) - First day of the third month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Roman Empire - first day of the Floralia in honor of Flora.
- Kim Sung-kyu: Pop Singer.
- Emil Salomonsson: Swedish footballer.
- Peechaya Wattanamontree: Thai model and actress.
- Olaff J de Landell [JB van Sparwoude]: Dutch writer, dies at age 77.
- Iran protests sale of Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
- Argentina, hit by rocketing inflation, runs out of money.
- Pope John Paul II begins a nine-day trip to Madagascar, Zambia, Malawi, and Réunion.
- Andrés Rodríguez, who had seized power and declared himself President of Paraguay during a military coup in February, wins a landslide election in a general election marked by charges of fraud.
- Disney-MGM Studios at Walt Disney World opens to the public for the first time.
- The first crack in the Iron Curtain: Hungary dismantles of barbed wire fencing along the border with Austria.
- The coalition government of Prime Minister of the Netherlands Ruud Lubbers collapses in a dispute about a pollution cleanup plan.
- Yugoslavia wins the Eurovision Song Contest in Lausanne with the song ''Rock me'' performed by Riva.
- Magnum XL-200 opens at Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky, Ohio as the world's tallest and fastest roller coaster.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?