Friday 28 August 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
Fantomas, directed by Louis Feuillade, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 August 2009!
Which were the important events of 28 August 2009 ?
- Many Christian churches: feast day of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
- Hong Kong: Liberation Day (1945)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 28 August
- A suicide bomber lightly wounds Prince Muhammad bin Nayef, deputy interior minister of Saudi Arabia, in his Jeddah office. (''The Washington Post'')
- ''Reading Rainbow'', the third longest-running children's show on United States public-service television network PBS, ends its 26-year run. (NPR)
- The detailed chemical structure of a single molecule has been imaged for the first time. The physical shape of single carbon nanotubes has been outlined before, using similar techniques, but the new method even shows up chemical bonds. (BBC)
- The United Nations warns that poultry farms could become infected with the H1N1 virus, following the discovery of the virus in turkeys in Chile last week. (BBC)
- According to declassified documents released this week, a survival manual produced by Transport Canada was used by U.S. interrogators to set limits on dousing detainees with cold water as a form of water torture. (CTV)
- Japan's unemployment rate reaches a record high of 5.7%. (BBC)
- Iceland's Althing votes in favour of repaying more than US$5 billion owed to the governments of the Netherlands and the United Kingdom as a result of the collapse of the Icesave bank. (BBC)
- The Los Angeles County coroner rules that American entertainer and musician Michael Jackson's death was a homicide caused by acute intoxication from the drug propofol. (Reuters)
- Prime Minister of Italy Silvio Berlusconi launches legal action against French weekly ''Nouvel Observateur'', Spanish newspaper ''El País'', and Italian newspaper ''La Repubblica'', and has authorized his attorneys to prepare cases against British newspapers, charging the newspapers with libel. (Reuters)
- King Mohammed VI of Morocco is hospitalized for five days for treatment of a rotavirus and dehydration. (''Monsters Critics'')
- Clashes between rebels and government troops in the Kokang region of northeastern Burma continue, with around 30,000 refugees fleeing across the border to China. (Reuters)
- United Nations diplomats confirm the United Arab Emirates seized a North Korean ship carrying weapons to Iran, in violation of Security Council Resolution 1874. (AFP)
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad calls for opposition leaders to be punished over election protests which occurred earlier this year. (Press TV)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?