Sunday 28 August 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
We Need to Talk About Kevin, directed by Lynne Ramsay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 28 August 2011 ?
- Many Christian churches: feast day of Saint Augustine of Hippo.
- Hong Kong: Liberation Day (1945)
- At least 29 people are killed in an suicide bombing in Baghdad's largest Sunni mosque including Khalid al-Fahdawi, a member of the Council of Representatives of Iraq. (AP via Google News)
- The Notting Hill Carnival, the world's second largest street festival, gets underway peacefully in London with a heavy police presence due to recent riots. (''The Guardian'')
- The 2011 MTV Video Music Awards conclude in Los Angeles with Katy Perry winning Video of the Year for Firework. (''Entertainment Weekly'')
- Hurricane Irene:
- A confirmed tornado in Delaware destroys a home and damages others. (ABC News)
- At least five people died in Maryland as a result of Hurricane Irene. (''International Business Times'')
- The storm reaches New York City with 370,000 people having been evacuated from low lying areas. (AFP via ''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- The state of Vermont is badly affected by the storm with the towns of Wilmington, Brattleboro and Dover all badly flooded and at least one death. (CNN)
- Typhoon Nanmadol kills eight people in the Philippines and is headed for Taiwan. (Taiwan News)
- Five people are killed and at least 27 injured when a tram derails in the Santa Teresa neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro. (BBC)
- The Government of the United Kingdom pledges to raise the issue of the murder of WPC Yvonne Fletcher, allegedly by a Libyan official outside the embassy in London in 1984, with the new government in Tripoli. (Press Association via Google)
- Indian social activist Anna Hazare breaks a hunger strike after Parliament passes strong anti-corruption laws. (''Times of India'')
- Tony Tan Keng Yam becomes the President-elect of Singapore after winning the presidential election. (Press Trust of India via ''Hindustan Times'')
- Nepal elects Baburam Bhattarai as its new Prime Minister. (CNN)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 28 August 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?