Thursday 28 December 1950
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Halls of Montezuma, directed by Lewis Milestone, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1950
while Joy Street by Frances Parkinson Keyes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1950.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 December 1950!
Which were the important events of 28 December 1950 ?
- The third day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Calendar of Saints - Feast of the Holy Innocents, a.k.a. Childermas, commemorating the Massacre of the Innocents on order of king Herod the Great. In Spain and Latin American countries the festival is celebrated in a manner similar to April Fool's Day.
- ?ivind Blunck: Norwegian comedian and actor.
- Rainer Maria Latzke: German mural artist.
- Alex Chilton in Memphis: Tennessee, USA; rock guitarist/vocalist (Box Tops - "Let Me Get Close to You", "The Letter").
- Øivind Blunck: Norwegian actor and singer.
- Alex Chilton: American singer-songwriter guitarist and producer (The Box Tops and Big Star) (d. 2010).
- Clifford Cocks: English mathematician and cryptographer
- Rainer Latzke: German-American painter and academic
- Hugh McDonald: American bass player (Bon Jovi)
- Chinese troops cross 38th Parallel into South Korea.
- The Peak District becomes the United Kingdom's first National Park.
- The first pagers are developed.
- The first TV remote control, Zenith Radio's ''Lazy Bones'', is marketed.
- Canadians Harry Wasylyk, Larry Hansen and Frank Plomp introduce the plastic bin bag for garbage collection.
- Myxomatosis is introduced into Australia in an attempt to control the escalating rabbit population.
- IBM Israel begins operating in Tel Aviv.
- President Harry Truman sends United States military advisers to Vietnam to aid French forces.
- France institutes a government-guaranteed minimum wage.
- Knox's Translation of the Vulgate Old Testament (commissioned by the Catholic Church) is published.
- The Pathet Lao is formed from an unknown insurgency in Laos to overthrow the French Army within the nation and Laos enters the First Indochina War.
- Total world population:
- Africa: 221,214,000
- Asia: 1,398,488,000
- Europe: 547,403,000
- Latin America: 167,097,000
- North America: 171,616,000
- Oceania: 12,812,000.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1950 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?