Thursday 28 December 1989
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Another Day In Paradise by Phil Collins.
In UK You Got It (The Right Stuff) by New Kids On The Block was in the top 5 hits.
Always, directed by Steven Spielberg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Dark Half by Stephen King was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1989.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 December 1989!
Which were the important events of 28 December 1989 ?
- The third day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- Calendar of Saints - Feast of the Holy Innocents, a.k.a. Childermas, commemorating the Massacre of the Innocents on order of king Herod the Great. In Spain and Latin American countries the festival is celebrated in a manner similar to April Fool's Day.
Famous Birthdays:28 December
- Alexander Dubcek elected parliament Chairman of Czech
- Earthquake at Newcastle Australia, 11 die
- Václav Havel is elected president of Czechoslovakia.
- Riots break out after Hong Kong decides to forcibly repatriate Vietnamese refugees.
- Nikkei 225 for Tokyo Stock Exchange hits its all-time intra-day high of 38,957.44 and closing high at 38,915.87.
- Alan Bond's Bond Corporation goes into receivership with the largest debt in Australian history.
- Homosexual acts between consenting adults are decriminalized in Western Australia.
- Kamchatka opens to Russian civilian visitors.
- The Alize propeller-driven anti-submarine planes are retired from active carrier service in the French Navy.
- The first national park in the Netherlands is established in Schiermonnikoog.
- Ebenezer Floppen Slopper's Wonderful Water slides in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois closes down after an incident on one of the slides.
- Soviet submarine K-173 (''Chelyabinsk'') is commissioned.
- The wreck of the ''Lady Elgin'' is discovered off Highland Park, Illinois by Harry Zych.
- Richard C. Duncan introduces the Olduvai theory, about the collapse of the Industrial Civilization.
- The NIOS board is established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development of the Government of India.
- The Museum of Jurassic Technology is founded in Culver City, California by David and Diana Wilson.
- The last Golden Toad is seen, the species is now classified extinct.
- The Japan Fantasy Novel Award is established.
- The global concentration of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere reaches 350 ppm (parts per million) by volume.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Phil Collins - Another Day In Paradise
- Linda Ronstadt - Don't Know Much
- Billy Joel - We Didn't Start The Fire
- Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation
- Taylor Dayne - With Every Beat Of My Heart
- Soul II Soul - Back To Life
- Technotronic - Pump Up The Jam
- Cher - Just Like Jesse James
- New Kids On The Block - This One's For The Children
- Bon Jovi - Living In Sin
Top #10 songs in the UK
- New Kids On The Block - You Got It (The Right Stuff)
- Kylie & Jason - Especially For You
- Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville - Don't Know Much
- Erasure - Crackers International (EP)
- Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers - Let's Party
- Neneh Cherry - Buffalo Stance
- Jason Donovan - When You Come Back To Me
- Inner City - Good Life
- Kaoma - Lambada
- Angry Anderson - Suddenly
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?