Thursday 28 July 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Party Rock Anthem by LMFAO.
Cowboys & Aliens, directed by Jon Favreau, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 July 2011!
Which were the important events of 28 July 2011 ?
- St. Celsus
- St. Victor
- St. Innocent
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 5 saints: St. Nazarius
- San Marino - Fall of the Fascist Government
- Peru - Independence Day
- Faroe Islands - �lavs�ka Eve
- Canada - Commemoration of the deportation of the Acadians
- St. Sampson (a bishop)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 28 July
- At least seven Philippine Army soldiers are killed and 21 injured in a confrontation with Abu Sayyaf militants on Jolo Island. (DPA via Monsters and Critics)
- The United Nations accuses Eritrea of attempting to bomb an African Union summit in Ethiopia. (BBC)
- Assassins kill the military commander of Libya's National Transitional Council General Abdul Fatah Younis and two other officers. (''New York Times'')
- A Taliban attack in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province kills 21 people including a BBC reporter Ahmed Omed Khpulwak. (''The Telegraph'')
- Swiss bank Credit Suisse announces plans to cut 2,000 jobs due to poor profit results. (Reuters)
- Japanese electronics company Sony reduces sales and profit forecasts due to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami, a computer hacking attack and slowing demand in the US and Europe. (Bloomberg)
- At least 57 people are dead and 12 are confirmed missing in the Seoul and Siheung region of South Korea due to landslides caused by heavy rain. (''The Weather Network'')
- At least 17 people are killed and 30 injured after a truck collides with a bus in the Bogra District of Bangladesh. (Xinhua)
- Authorities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo say more than 100 people are feared dead after two boats collided on Tshuapa River. (Fox News)
- South Korea resumes sending food aid to North Korea to assist with chronic food shortages. (Yonhap News)
- News International phone hacking scandal:
- Police tell the mother of murder victim Sarah Payne that her mobile phone details have been found in notes made by private investigator Glenn Mulcaire. (BBC)
- Lord Justice Leveson sets out some of the details of the forthcoming inquiry into the phone hacking affair, which will begin in September. (BBC)
- In a legal milestone, the High Court of England and Wales rules that BT Group must block access to Newzbin 2, a members-only website providing links to pirated movies. (BBC)
- Former President of Tunisia Zine El Abidine Ben Ali is sentenced to 16 years in absentia for corruption and property fraud. (''Times of India'')
- John Boehner delays a vote on the United States House of Representatives debt ceiling legislation with the issue deferred until at least Friday. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- Astronomers using the Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer telescope identify a Trojan asteroid, calling it ''2010 TKampsubamp7amp/subamp'', orbiting on the same path as the Earth around the Sun. The rock poses no danger to the Earth since it sits in a what is termed a gravitational ampquotsweet spotampquot. (Nature)
- In swimming, Ryan Lochte of the United States sets a new world record in the 200-meter individual medley in winning a gold medal at the 2011 World Aquatics Championships in Shanghai, People's Republic of China. Lochte becomes the first person to set a long-course world record since FINA banned rubberized swimsuits in 2010. (''USA Today'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?