Friday 28 June 1996
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Bill Clinton (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Brady Good and Donna Vekić.
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Tha Crossroads by Bone Thugs-N-Harmony.
In UK Three Lions by Baddiel & Skinner and The Lightning Seeds was in the top 5 hits.
Criss Cross, directed by Robert Siodmak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1996
while The Runaway Jury by John Grisham was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Si Doel anak sekolahan.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Disney's Pinocchio or Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1996.
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 June 1996!
Which were the important events of 28 June 1996 ?
- Feast of St Irenaeus of Lyon
- Vidovdan, Orthodox religious holiday commemorating St. Vitus
- National Handshake Day
Famous Birthdays:28 June
- Nutty Professor, starring Eddie Murphy opens in theaters in the USA
- The Constitution of Ukraine is signed into law.
- A new government is formed in Turkey, with Necmettin Erbakan of Refah Partisi becoming prime minister of the coalition government, and deputy and foreign minister Tansu Çiller of the True Path Party succeeding him after two years.
- The Prince's Trust concert is held in Hyde Park, London, and is attended by 150,000 people. The Who headlines the event in their first performance since 1989.
- An explosion in a firecrackers factory in Sichuan Province, China kills at least 36 people and injures another 52.
- Costas Simitis is elected President of the Panhellenic Socialist Movement of Greece.
- Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadžić reliquishes power to his deputy, Biljana Plavšić.
- Germany defeats the Czech Republic 2-1 after extra time in the final of the European Championships.
- Iraq disarmament crisis: U.N. Inspector Scott Ritter attempts to conduct surprise inspections on the Republican Guard facility at the airport, but is blocked by Iraqi officials.
- The Prague Manifesto declares the principles of the Esperanto movement.
- Confrontations occur in Northern Ireland between police and Orange Order protestors at Drumcree Church (see Drumcree conflict).
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 1996 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - Tha Crossroads
- Toni Braxton - You're Makin' Me High
- Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
- 2 Pac - How Do U Want It
- Mariah Carey - Always Be My Baby
- Celine Dion - Because You Loved Me
- Adam Clayton & Larry Mullen - Theme From Mission Impossible
- Los Del Rio - Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)
- Tony Rich Project - Nobody Knows
- Alanis Morissette - Ironic
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?