Monday 28 June 2010
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to California Gurls by Katy Perry.
The Last Airbender, directed by M. Night Shyamalan, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 June 2010!
Which were the important events of 28 June 2010 ?
- Feast of St Irenaeus of Lyon
- Vidovdan, Orthodox religious holiday commemorating St. Vitus
- National Handshake Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 28 June
- U.S. Senator Robert Byrd, longest serving member ever of the Congress (Democrat, Representative for West Virginia 1952-58, Senator for West Virginia 1958-2010), dies at age 92 in Washington, D.C.
- The US Supreme Court rules 5-4 that a ban on handgun ownership in the city of Chicago was unconstitutional, ruling that the US Constitution protects the right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self-defence.
- Captured Israeli soldier, Gilad Shalit:
- Hamas leader Khaled Mashal says Hamas plans to kidnap more IDF soldiers and increase the price for captive soldier Gilad Shalit if Israel does not meet its demands for a prisoner swap. (Ha’aretz)
- About 5,000 people attend a rally in the northern Israeli town of Kiryat Motzkin in support of the captured soldier on the second day of cross-country march (Ynet)
- Five Muslim American students sentenced to serve 10 years in a Pakistani prison for conspiracy to commit attacks and raising funds for terrorism, appeal their conviction. (Voice of America)
- The European Union and United States sign a five-year agreement on sharing financial data in anti-terrorist investigations for accounts suspected of being used for terrorist financing, after agreeing on limits to protect customer privacy. (''Star Tribune'')
- Gulf of Mexico oil disaster:
- Assassination of Rodolfo Torre Cantu:
- Rodolfo Torre Cantu, a leading candidate in a Mexican, state election is assassinated near Ciudad Victoria. (CNN)
- President of Mexico Felipe Calderón blames drug cartels for the assassination. (Aljazeera)
- Death of oldest, longest serving United States Senator, Robert Byrd:
- Senator Daniel Inouye of Hawaii succeeds Byrd as President Pro Tempore, making Inouye the highest ranking Asian American politician in American history. (Politico)
- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad postpones nuclear talks so as to “punish the West” for United Nations Security Council Resolution 1929 aimed at curbing the alleged development of Iranian nuclear weapons. (AFP)
- Toronto police arrest over 600 people outside the G20 summit, with police using rubber bullets and tear gas on protestors. (Democracy Now!)
- Rwandan authorities arrest two people in connection with the killing of a journalist critical of Rwandan President Paul Kagame, and deny complicity in the murder. (AP)
- Sri Lanka's President Mahinda Rajapakse and other prominent Sri Lankans protest international calls and the appointment of a United Nations panel to investigate war crimes allegedly committed during the country's civil war with the Tamil Tiger separatists. (''Colombo Page'')
- At least 100 people are feared trapped or buried in a landslide in Guizhou Province in south-west China following continued heavy rain. (Al Jazeera)
- Former Panamaian leader Manuel Noriega goes on trial in Paris. (''The Guardian'')
- Kyrgyzstan approves a new constitution with 90.6 percent of voters backing a constitution that would pave the way for a parliamentary election in October, following the violence of the recent uprising and riots. (''The New York Times'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2010 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?