Sunday 28 May 1944
It was Sunday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Adriaan T "Ad" Zuiderent and Gladys Knight in Atlanta.
Since You Went Away, directed by John Cromwell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 May 1944!
Which were the important events of 28 May 1944 ?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- Augustine of Canterbury
- William of Gellone
- Adriaan T "Ad" Zuiderent: Poet / critic (On the Droge).
- Gladys Knight in Atlanta: Georgia, USA; singer, leader of the Pips ("Last Train to Georgia").
- Billy Vera musician (and the Beaters - "At This Moment": "Into the Night").
- Rudy Giuliani American politician (Mayor-Republican/Liberal New York City: 1994-).
- Jean-Pierre Leaud: French actor.
- Germaine Acogny: French-Senegalese dancer and choreographer, and a historical figure in African dance who founded the first African dance studio in 1968 in Dakar.
- Rudy Giuliani: American politician, the charismatic and controversial mayor of New York City and a candidate for the Republican nomination in the 2008 presidential race. When the terrorist attack brought down the World Trade Towers on September 11, 2001, Rudy had his finest hour. His commanding presence, resolute spirit, and inspiring words defined leadership in crisis. He was everywhere at once, the epitome of American courage and resilience.
- Gladys Knight: American singer, leader of the long-lived rhythm and blues pop group "Gladys Knight and The Pips." In 1989, the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, Ohio. On 2/26/1998, they were given the 1998 Lifetime Achievement Award from the Rhythm and Blues Foundation in New York City. Originally, Knight went into show business because of family hardships to help support her family and she established herself as a rock and soul singer in the '60s and '70s with hits such as "
- Jean-Pierre Léaud: French actor, appearing in his first film at age 13. The son of an actress (Jacqueline Pierreux) and scriptwriter/director Pierre Léaud, Jean-Pierre appeared in his first film when he landed a small part in "La Tour, Prends Garde!" (1957). At age 14, he appeared in Truffaut's "400 Blows." With his career nearing its 50-year mark,, his many films include "Stolen Kisses," (1968) and Bertolucci's "Last Tango in Paris" (1972).
- Michel Schneider: French writer, musicologist, technocrat, senior official and psychoanalyst.
- Faith Brown: English actress and singer
- Sondra Locke: American actress singer and director
- Rita MacNeil: Canadian singer and actress (d. 2013)
- Patricia Quinn: Irish actress and singer
- Gary Stewart: American singer-songwriter (d. 2003)
- Billy Vera: American singer-songwriter and actor
- Katri Vala: Finnish poet, dies at age 42.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 28 May 1944
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1944 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- I'll Be Seeing You - Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra (Vocal Frank Sinatra)
- Good Night, Wherever You Are - Russ Morgan & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?