Thursday 28 May 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Leon "The and Risto Mannisenmäki.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Kansas City by Wilbert Harrison.
In UK A Fool Such As I / I Need Your Love Tonight by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
They Came to Cordura, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Markham.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 May 1959!
Which were the important events of 28 May 1959 ?
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Germain of Paris
- Republic Day in Azerbaijan and Armenia (both 1918).
- Bernard of Menthon
- Augustine of Canterbury
- William of Gellone
- Leon "The: Bop" Klaasse; rock drummer/singer (The Pilgrims - "Red").
- Risto Mannisenmäki: Finnish race car driver.
- John Morgan: English etiquette expert and author (d. 2000).
- Steve Strange: Welsh singer (Visage The Moors Murderers and Strange Cruise) (d. 2015).
- Congressional Committee of Astronautics meets Project 7 Astronauts
- Monkeys Able and Baker zoom 300 miles (500 km) into space on Jupiter missile, became first animals retrieved from a space mission.
- US Congressional Committee of Astronautics meets Project 7 astronauts.
- Two monkeys, Able and Miss Baker are the first living beings to successfully return to Earth from space aboard the flight Jupiter AM-18.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Wilbert Harrison - Kansas City
- Johnny Horton - The Battle Of New Orleans
- Bobby Darin - Dream Lover
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Edward Byrnes - Kookie, Kookie (Lend Me Your Comb)
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- Dion and the Belmonts - A Teenager In Love
- Martin Denny - Quiet Village
- Lloyd Price - Personality
- Franck Pourcel's French Fiddles - Only You
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?