Wednesday 28 October 2009
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Down by Jay Sean.
The Secret in Their Eyes, directed by Juan Jos Campanella, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 28 October 2009 ?
- St. Anastasia II
- St. Remigius
- Greece - Oxi (No) Day
- Czechoslovakia - gains its independence from Austria-Hungary (1918); Holiday in the Czech Republic, Remembrance Day in Slovakia.
- Also see October 28 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- St. Salvius
- St. Abraham
- R.C. Saints - October 28th is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints: Saint Jude (a.k.a Saint Thaddaeus or "of James")
- St. Eadsin
- St. Simon the Zealot (erroneously a.k.a. "the Canaanite")
- St. John Dat
- St. Anglinus
- St. Ferrutius
- St. Fidelis of Como
- Saint Godwin
- St. Honoratus of Vercelli
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 28 October
- NASA launches a prototype Ares I-X rocket from Florida to test technology for the development of a future manned launch vehicle. The US$450 million launcher is the first NASA has built in more than 30 years.
- The 28 October 2009 Peshawar bombing kills 117 and wounds 213.
- Canadian folk singer Taylor Mitchell is mauled to death by coyotes at the age of 19. (''The Star'')
- Voters in Mozambique go to the polls for the general election. (IOL)
- A blast in Meena Bazar, Peshawar, Pakistan, kills at least 95 people while 110 are injured. (''The Times'')
- 12 people ndash including six United Nations staff ndash are killed after Taliban militants assault an international guesthouse in the Afghan capital Kabul. (''New York Times'')
- One of Germany's last Nazi war crimes trials begins, with Heinrich Boere charged with the killings of three civilians in the Netherlands. (Deutsche Welle)
- The Lebanese army says it has found and deactivated four 107-mm rockets in the garden of a partly built house a day after a rocket fired from Houla hit the northern Israeli border town of Kiryat Shmona. This is the fifth time rocket attacks have been used to try to break the cease-fire. (Reuters)
- Chinese police rescue over 2,000 children in a six month campaign against human trafficking. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- Ireland and the United Kingdom agree to ensure drivers disqualified from driving are disqualified in all their countries. (RTÉ)
- The United Nations Torture Investigator, Manfred Nowak, is prevented last minute from entering Zimbabwe. (''The Herald'')
- Hamas orders Palestinians in the Gaza Strip not to vote in a January election called by West Bank leader Mahmoud Abbas. (Press TV)
- Mongolia's parliament approves the resignation of Prime Minister Sanjaagiin Bayar, who stepped down due to ill health. He was replaced by the Foreign Minister Sükhbaataryn Batbold. (Xinhua)
- The main opposition Democratic Party wins three out of five seats in by-elections in South Korea. (''Bangkok Post'')
- The Matthew Shepard Act, providing legal protection against hate crimes to lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered people, is signed into law in the United States by President Barack Obama. (Associated Press)
- Federal agents attached to the FBI fatally shoot the leader of a Sunni Muslim group wanted on firearm charges in Detroit, USA. (Al Jazeera)
- In an appearance before the House of Lords Communications Select Committee, BBC Director-General Mark Thompson denies that the appearance of British National Party leader Nick Griffin on ''Question Time'' was a bid for ratings. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?