Tuesday 28 September 1965
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Hang On Sloopy by The McCoys.
In UK (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones was in the top 5 hits.
The Hill, directed by Sidney Lumet, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1965
while The Green Berets by Robin Moore was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 28 September 1965!
Which were the important events of 28 September 1965 ?
- Feast day of the following RC Saints Leoba
- St. Wenceslas
- French Republican Calendar - Carotte (Carrot) Day, seventh day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Taiwan - Teacher's Day (Confucius' birthday)
- Czech Republic - Czech Statehood Day
- Also see September 28 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- Lorenzo Ruiz
- Joel Rane: Author (Step on Up).
- Jens Melzig: German footballer.
- Christopher Welch: American actor (d. 2013).
- Roschdy Zem: French actor and filmmaker of Moroccan descent.
- Eddie Gribbon: Actor (Keystone Kops), dies after long illness.
- Jack McKay in X-15 reaches 90 km
- Volcano explodes on Luzon Philippines; 500 killed
- Lava flows kill at least 350 (Taal, Phillipines).
- Fidel Castro announces that anyone who wants to can emigrate to the United States.
- Taal Volcano in Luzon, Philippines, erupts, killing hundreds.
- The Indonesian army, led by General Suharto, crushes an alleged communist coup attempt (see Transition to the New Order and 30 September Movement).
- Classic family sci-fi show ''Thunderbirds'' debuts on ITV.
- Fidel Castro announces that Che Guevara has resigned and left the country.
- U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs an immigration bill which abolishes quotas based on national origin.
- At least 150 killed when a commuter train derails at the outskirts of Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
- Prime minister Ian Smith of Rhodesia and Arthur Bottomley of the Commonwealth of Nations begin negotiations in London.
- Pope Paul VI visits the United States. He appears for a Mass in Yankee Stadium and makes a speech at the United Nations.
- The University of California, Irvine opens its doors.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1965 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Yesterday
- The McCoys - Hang On Sloopy
- Barry McGuire - Eve Of Destruction
- Roy Head - Treat Her Right
- We Five - You Were On My Mind
- Dave Clark Five - Catch Us If You Can
- Ramsey Lewis Trio - The In Crowd
- Fortunes - You've Got Your Troubles
- Sonny And Cher - Baby Don't Go
- Sonny - Laugh At Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 28 September 1965 and get them!