Thursday 29 August 1957
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Pim Kops and Therese Hession.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Quatermass II: Enemy from Space, directed by Val Guest, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Letter From Peking by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1957!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1957 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Pim Kops: Rock musician (Dike, Bloedend Heart).
- Therese Hession: LPGA golfer.
- Jerry D Bailey: American racing jockey.
- Christian Buchet: French maritime historian.
- Jerry Bailey: American jockey and sportscaster.
- Congress passes Civil Rights Act of 1957
- US Congress passes Civil Rights Act of 1957.
- Strom Thurmond (Senator-Democrat-South Carolina) ends 24 hour filibuster against civil rights.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 August 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?