Saturday 29 August 1959
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to The Three Bells by The Browns.
In UK Living Doll by Cliff Richard & The Drifters was in the top 5 hits.
The Magician, directed by Ingmar Bergman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while Lady Chatterly'S Lover by D.H. Lawrence was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1959!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1959 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Eddi Reader: Scottish singer, well known and loved throughout Great Britain, former lead singer of "Fairground Attraction.
- Timothy Shriver: American noted family, the son of Sargent and Eunice Kennedy Shriver.
- Stephen Wolfram: British computer scientist, entrepreneur and physicist known for his contributions to theoretical physics; his pioneering work on knowledge-based programming; as the CEO of Wolfram Research and chief designer of Mathematica and the Wolfram Alpha answer engine; and as the author of the book A New Kind of Science and the Wolfram Language.
- Ernesto Rodrigues: Portuguese composer.
- Rebecca De Mornay: American actress singer and producer.
- Ramón Díaz: Argentinian footballer and manager
- Ray Elgaard: Canadian football player
- Akkineni Nagarjuna: Indian Telugu actor
- Chris Hadfield: Sarnia, Ontario -- RCAF / Astronaut (STS 74, sk: 99)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Browns - The Three Bells
- Santo and Johnny - Sleep Walk
- Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love
- Phil Phillips - Sea Of Love
- The Drifters - There Goes My Baby
- Carl Dobkins Jr. - My Heart Is An Open Book
- Sammy Turner - Lavender-Blue
- Ray Charles - What'd I Say (Part I)
- Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes
- Fats Domino - I Want To Walk You Home
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 29 August 1959 and get them!