Tuesday 29 August 1961
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Wooden Heart by Joe Dowell.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Yojimbo, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 29 August 1961 ?
- The first day of Thoth - which is the first day of the Egyptian calendar. Thoth is the Ibis-headed god of knowledge.
- Slovakia - Slovak National Uprising Day (1944, against the Nazis)
- Eastern Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholic Church commemorate the beheading of John the Baptist with a feast day
- 1997 - Judgment Day, from the movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day
- Official Yakiniku Day in Japan as proclaimed by the All Japan Yakiniku Association.
- Enzo Enzo: French pop and jazzy singer of Russian descent.
- Rebecca De Mornay: Santa Rose, California -- Actress (Hand that Rocks Cradle).
- Tony Macalpine: heavy metal rocker (Solo - "Edge of Insanity").
- Carsten Fischer: German field hockey player.
- Rodney McCray: American basketball player.
- Roland Menzies: American homicide who entered a Davie, Florida yard along with a companion on 2/17/1975, 6:31 PM EST, where two little kids were playing. The two boys beat and strangled to death a four- year-old boy and beat his baby sister to death, having no idea who their victims were as they were simply on a rampage.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Linda Scott - Don't Bet Money Honey
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 29 August 1961 and get them!