Friday 29 December 1933
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Sons of the Desert, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1933
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 December 1933!
Which were the important events of 29 December 1933 ?
- The fourth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Thomas Becket (optional memorial)
- Prez "Kidd" Kenneth: Blues singer / guitarist.
- Frederick Thurston: Altoona sports Champions.
- Samuel Brittan: English journalist and author.
- Joh Georghe Duca: premier of Romania, murdered.
- Yank refuses to release Babe Ruth so he can manage the Cin Reds
- Members of the Iron Guard assassinate Ion Gheorghe Duca, prime minister of Romania.
- The United States Federal Government outlaws cannabis.
- A coup attempt against Franklin Delano Roosevelt fails in the United States (''see'' Smedley Butler).
- US President Roosevelt rejects socialism and government ownership of industry.
- Nazi Germany forms the ''Expert Committee on Questions of Population and Racial Policy'' under Reich Interior Minister Wilhelm Frick.
- The Holodomor famine takes place in Ukraine.
- The first doughnut store under the Krispy Kreme name opens in Nashville, Tennessee.
- Jimmie Angel becomes the first foreigner to see the Angel Falls (they are named after him).
- The ''Adélaïde Concerto'', a spurious work attributed to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, is published as ampquoteditedampquot (actually composed) by Marius Casadesus.
- 15 million unemployed in the USA.
- Five coalition cabinets form and fall in France.
- Turkey concludes a treaty with the creditors of the former Ottoman Empire to schedule the payments in Paris. (Turkey succeeds in clearing all the debt in less than twenty years.)
- The first dated ISCF group is started in Australia at North Sydney Boys High School, with the group still running today.
- English cricket team in Australia in 1932–33: The England cricket team wins The Ashes using the controversial bodyline tactic.ampref name=ampquotCassell's Chronologyampquot/amp
- In Australia the Australian Frontier Wars ends after 145 years.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1933 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- April in Paris - Freddy Martin & His Orchestra
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 29 December 1933 and get them!