Thursday 29 December 1983
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Say Say Say by Paul McCartney.
In UK Only You by The Flying Pickets was in the top 5 hits.
Silkwood, directed by Mike Nichols, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1983
while Poland by James A. Michener was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1983.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 December 1983!
Which were the important events of 29 December 1983 ?
- The fourth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Thomas Becket (optional memorial)
- Alison Brie: American actress.
- Jessica Andrews: American country music singer.
- James Kelly: Australian rules footballer.
- Gonzalo Olave: Chilean television actor (Born 1983).
- US announced withdrawal from UNESCO
- The Reverend Jesse Jackson travels to Syria to secure the release of U.S. Navy Lieutenant Robert Goodman, who has been in Syrian captivity after being shot down over the country on a reconnaissance mission.
- Brunei gains independence from the United Kingdom.
- Two bombs explode in France one on the Paris train kills 3 and injures 19. The other at Marseille station kills 2 and injures 34.
- I. M. Pei wins the Pritzker Architecture Prize.
- Zlatko Ugljen receives the Aga Khan Award for Architecture for Šerefudin's White Mosque, built in Visoko.
- The Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE) program is launched in the U.S.
- ''Flashdance'' and ''Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi'' are box-office hits.
- Gérard Debreu wins the Bank of Sweden Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel.
- Kellogg's introduces ''Crispix'' cereal.
- Leopold Kohr, the people of Belau, Amory and Hunter Lovins / Rocky Mountain Institute and Manfred Max-Neef / CEPAUR win the Right Livelihood Award.
- McDonald's introduces the ''McNugget''.
- Kary Mullis discovers polymerase chain reaction while working for Cetus.
- The De Lorean Motor Company ceases production.
- The meteorological El Nino phenomenon brought severe weather worldwide.
- Chrysler starts production on the first minivans: the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1983 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Paul McCartney - Say Say Say
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - Say It Isn't So
- Duran Duran - Union Of The Snake
- Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart
- Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
- Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
- Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield
- Olivia Newton-John - Twist Of Fate
- The Rolling Stones - Undercover Of The Night
- Matthew Wilder - Break My Stride
Top #10 songs in the UK
- The Flying Pickets - Only You
- Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love
- Paul Young - Love Of The Common People
- David Essex - A Winter's Tale
- Slade - My Oh My
- Renee & Renato - Save Your Love
- Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
- Keith Harris & Orville - Orville's Song
- The Thompson Twins - Hold Me Now
- Modern Romance - Best Years Of Our Lives
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?