Thursday 29 December 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of December people in US were listening to We Found Love by Rihanna.
The Flowers of War, directed by Yimou Zhang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinne was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 December 2011!
Which were the important events of 29 December 2011 ?
- The fourth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Thomas Becket (optional memorial)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 December
- Samoa and Tokelau move from east to west of the International Date Line, thereby skipping December 30, in order to align their time zones better with their main trading partners.ref name=quotwashi officialquot
- 2011 Syrian uprising: At least 10 people are killed in clashes in the city of Homs as Arab League monitors continue their inspection of Syria's conflict zones. (BBC)
- Seven kidnappers are killed and two hostages rescued in a police raid in China's Xinjiang Province, according to state media. One police officer was also reportedly killed. (Reuters)
- Turkish warplanes launch airstrikes aimed at Kurdish militants, accidentally killing 35 smugglers that were suspected as guerillas. (MSNBC)
- 2011 Egyptian revolution: Egyptian security forces storm the offices of non-governmental organisations across the country. (Al Jazeera)
- New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg states that there is 'no chance' that the National September 11 Museum will open on time (September 11, 2012), due to a financial dispute. (MSNBC)
- The United States sells 84 F-15 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia. (Reuters)
- At least 14 people die in a multi-vehicle accident on the Pan American Highway on the outskirts of the Venezuelan capital Caracas. (''El Universal'')
- Mount Cleveland, a volcano in the U.S. state of Alaska, erupts, causing an air traffic alert to be issued. (Reuters)
- A Russian nuclear submarine, the K-84 ''Ekaterinburg'', is forced to partially submerge itself at a shipyard in Murmansk to douse a blaze on its hull. No radiation leaks are reported. (Reuters)
- Kim Jong-un is acknowledged as the Supreme Leader of North Korea at the conclusion of a state funeral for his father. (AP via MSNBC)
- Around 500 people protest in the Russian capital Moscow against the detention of opposition leader Sergei Udaltsov. (''The Guardian'')
- General elections take place in Jamaica, with preliminary results showing the Opposition People's National Party led by Portia Simpson Miller in a winning position. (BBC)
- The Rajya Sabha, the Upper House of the Parliament of India, adjourns for the year without voting on the Lokpal anti-corruption bill advocated by Anna Hazare and his followers. (Reuters)
- Poland announces an amnesty for illegal immigrants from January 1, 2012. (Reuters)
- Rosman García, a Venezuelan former relief pitcher who played for the Texas Rangers during the 2003–2004 baseball seasons, is killed in a car crash in Valencia, Venezuela.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2011 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 29 December 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?