Thursday 29 February 1940
It was Thursday, under the sign of Pisces. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Gretchen Christopher in Olympia and Yozhef Sabo.
The Baker's Wife, directed by Marcel Pagnol, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 February 1940!
Which were the important events of 29 February 1940 ?
- Gretchen Christopher in Olympia: Washington, USA; American pop singer/songwriter, founder and female lead of The Fleetwoods ("Come Softly To Me", "Mr Blue").
- Yozhef Sabo: former Soviet football player of Hungarian background.
- Monte Kiffin: Coach.
- Edward Frederic Benson: English writer (Born 1867).
- Gone with the Wind, wins 8 Oscars
- 45 U-boats sunk this month (170,000 ton)
- Frederic from G&S Pirates of Penzance finally released by pirate
- Hattie McDaniel becomes 1st black woman to win an Oscar
- For her role as Mammy in Gone with the Wind, Hattie McDaniel becomes the first African American to win an Academy Award.
- In a ceremony held in Berkeley, California, because of the war, physicist Ernest Lawrence receives the 1939 Nobel Prize in Physics from Sweden's Consul General in San Francisco.
- Finland initiates Winter War peace negotiations
- March ndash ''Truth or Consequences'' debuts on ''NBC'' Radio.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?