Friday 29 July 1955
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley and His Comets.
In UK Unchained Melody by Jimmy Young was in the top 5 hits.
To Catch a Thief, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while Something Of Value by Robert Ruark was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 July 1955!
Which were the important events of 29 July 1955 ?
- "Country" Jem Finer: English banjo player (Pogues-Straight to Hell).
- Jean-Hugues Anglade: French actor who starred with Béatrice Dalle in Jean-Jacques Beineix's "Betty Blue" in 1985.
- Jean-Luc Ettori: French footballer, a goalkeeper who spent his entire career with AS Monaco, and had held the record for the most appearances by any player in Ligue 1 or Division 1 with 602 appearances until 4 December 2013 when Mickaël Landreau surpassed his record.
- Dave Stevens: American illustrator (d. 2008).
- Stephen Timms: English politician Minister of State for Competitiveness.
- Smokey Burgess hits three home runs to help Pittsburgh Pirates beat Cincinnati Reds 16-5.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1955 ?
Top #6 songs in the USA
- Bill Haley and His Comets - (We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock
- Frank Sinatra - Learnin' The Blues
- Unchained Melody - Les Baxter & His Orchestra
- Pat Boone - Ain't That A Shame
- Something's Gotta Give (orchestra Of Sy Oliver) - Sammy Davis Jr.
- Alan Dale - Sweet And Gentle
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?