Monday 29 September 2008
It was Monday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Emma Tallulah Behn and Emma Behn.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Whatever You Like by T.I..
Body of Lies, directed by Ridley Scott, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Clannad: After Story.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden or Ben 10: Alien Force.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 September 2008!
Which were the important events of 29 September 2008 ?
- Argentina, Inventor's Day - L�szl= J=zsef Bfr='s birthday.
- England, Ireland - One of the four Quarter days in the Irish calendar
- Also see September 29 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Michaelmas - Christian feast of the Archangels St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael
- French Republican Calendar - Amarante (Amaranth) Day, eighth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Emma Tallulah Behn: member of the extended Norwegian royal family.
- Emma Behn: Norwegian royalty, the youngest of the three daughters of Princess Märtha Louise and her husband, author Ari Behn.
- The Dow Jones industrial average posts its largest point decline ever, 778 points, 6.98 percent of total value. The benchmark Standard & Poor's 500 Index has its worst day since the 1987 crisis with an 8.8 percent drop, or 106.59 points. The Nasdaq Composite Index loses 199.61 points, or 9.14 percent. Latin American stocks tumble 13 percent, their biggest decline in more than a decade. Gold price jumps up, and US crude oil drops $10 to close at US$96.37 per barrel. World stocks, as measured by
- Following the bankruptcies of Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual, The Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 777.68 points, the largest single-day point loss in its history.
- The DOW loses 777 points, the biggest one-day point decline ever. The drop came after the House of Representatives voted down a $700 billion bank bailout plan.
- Three bombs go off in western India, killing 8 people and injuring 30. (TOI)
- United States Attorney General Michael Mukasey announces the appointment of a special prosecutor to investigate the firings of nine U.S. attorneys in 2006. (BBC News)
- Subprime mortgage crisis:
- The United States House of Representatives rejects a proposed bailout of the U.S. financial system. (MarketWatch)
- Head of the Swedish National Debt Office Bo Lundgren says that the $700 billion U.S. financial industry bailout is based on too-optimistic valuations, and may not be enough to restore confidence in the financial system. (Dagens industri)
- Brazil's stock market had its worst one-day plunge in almost a decade, the São Paulo Stock Exchange sank 9.36% to 46,028.06 points, its steepest drop since 1999. (Reuters)
- The Government of Iceland takes control of the country's number three bank, the struggling Glitnir Bank (International Herald Tribune)
- The Dow Jones Industrial Average has the biggest intra-day decline in its history as it drops by 777 points. (NY1)
- A car bomb explodes near a bus carrying Lebanese Army troops to work in Tripoli, Lebanon, which kills at least five people and injures 25. (AP via Fox News)
- Floods caused by Typhoon Hagupit cause at least 41 deaths in northern Vietnam. (News Limited)
- Sweden’s official debt collection agency is suffering from severe economic problems after having over-spent and over-borrowed and may be forced to cut staff to stop the bleeding. (The Local)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 29 September 2008
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2008 ?
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?