Wednesday 29 September 2010
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of September people in US were listening to Just The Way You Are by Bruno Mars.
Ip Man, directed by Wilson Yip, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 September 2010!
Which were the important events of 29 September 2010 ?
- Argentina, Inventor's Day - L�szl= J=zsef Bfr='s birthday.
- England, Ireland - One of the four Quarter days in the Irish calendar
- Also see September 29 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Michaelmas - Christian feast of the Archangels St. Michael, St. Gabriel, and St. Raphael
- French Republican Calendar - Amarante (Amaranth) Day, eighth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 29 September
- 14 Islamist militants are killed in an operation by Russian forces in Dagestan. (Reuters)
- Comedian Greg Giraldo dies at the age of 44 in a New Brunswick, New Jersey, hospital after an accidental drug overdose four days ago. (E Online)
- Protests and strikes across Europe:
- Tens of thousands of workers across Europe protest against austerity measures being taken by their governments. (''The Guardian'')
- Rallies take place in Portugal, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, the Czech Republic, Cyprus, Serbia, Romania, Poland, Ireland and France. (CNN)
- A concrete mixer is crashed into the gates of Ireland's national parliament by a man protesting against the cost of bailing out Anglo Irish Bank. (''The Guardian'')
- Spanish workers stage the country's first general strike since 2002. Transport operates at below normal levels, TV and newspapers are reduced and picketers deliver pamphlets to offices in Madrid explaining their position. (''The News Tribune'')
- Thousands of people converge outside government headquarters in Warsaw under the slogan ampquotNo to cuts, yes to developmentampquot. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- An estimated 100,000 people march on Brussels as part of a Europe-wide strike call given by the European Trade Union Confederation. (Xinhua)
- A strike by air traffic controllers in Brussels and the general strike in Spain impacts flights by airlines such as Etihad Airways, easyJet and Ryanair. (''Gulf News'')
- The United States House of Representatives approves legislation that would lead to trade sanctions against China, which is accused of undervaluing the yuan. (CNN)
- The 2010 Oaxaca landslide in the Mexican state of Oaxaca is less deadly than initially feared, with eleven people missing. (''The Guardian'')
- Another landslide in the Mexican state of Chipas kills 16 people and leaves four missing. (''Agence Presse-France'')
- A magnitude 5,9 aftershock of March 11, 2010 Pichilemu, Chile earthquake hits the Lolol, O'Higgins Region area. Power outages were reported in Lolol. (BBC)
- Germany makes the final payment of its World War I reparations. (ABC News)
- South Korea says that it has reached an agreement with North Korea to hold working-level military talks for the first time in two years. (CBS)
- The European Commission issues a statement saying it will take legal action against France unless it complies with European Union rules on freedom of movement in relation to recent expulsion of Roma within the next two weeks. (''National Post'')
- Ten prisoners die in a fight between rival gangs at a prison in Aragua, Venezuela. (BBC)
- Iranian blogger Hossein Derakhshan is sentenced to 19 and a half years in prison on charges of ampquotcollaborationampquot and ampquotpropagandaampquot. (Al Jazeera)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California judge Jeremy D. Fogel stays the execution of sex killer Albert Greenwood Brown who was due to be executed on Thursday. (AFP via Google)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 2010 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 29 September 2010 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?