Thursday 30 April 1959
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Come Softly To Me by The Fleetwoods.
In UK Side Saddle by Russ Conway was in the top 5 hits.
Imitation of Life, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1959
while The Ugly American by William J. Lederer and Eugene Burdick was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 April 1959!
Which were the important events of 30 April 1959 ?
- Sweden - Birthday of King Carl XVI Gustav, an official flag day.
- Mexico - Children's Day.
- The Netherlands - Queen's Day.
- Saint Pope Pius V
- LaVeyan Satanism - Walpurgisnacht, or Walpurgis Night, as noted in The Satanic Bible.
- Saint Eutropius
- Saint Maximus, 3rd century martyr
- Saint Marianus and James, martyrs in Numidia in 259
- Scandinavia - The arrival of spring, Walpurgis Night.
- Saint Joseph Benedict Cottolengo
- Roman Empire - third day of the Floralia in honor of Flora.
- Blessed Hildegard
- Blessed Radolf of Affligem
- Blessed Rosemonde
- Vietnam - Liberation Day.
- Bealtaine Eve (From either Irish Bealtaine or Scottish Gaelic). Originally a Celtic Druid holiday.
- Saint Suitbert the Younger (d. 807)
- Nina Holtum: Danish writer, author of the thriller, "Ikonen" (The Icon, 2014), chosen as the first released book of the Clausen publishing house.
- Shannon O'Brien: American politician, state treasurer of Massachusetts and unsuccessful Dem.
- W Thomas Smith: Jr, American author and columnist.
- Stephen Harper: Canadian politician and Prime Minister of Canada, elected in January 2006.
- Jean-Yves Le Gall: French engineer, who has served since 2013 as the president of the 'Centre national d'études spatiales' (CNES) (English: National Centre for Space Studies), the French government space agency.
- Kamaran Abdalla: Iraq -- Actor (Goede Tijden Selechte Tijden)
- Lauren Howe: LPGA golfer
- Paul Gross: Canadian actor singer producer and screenwriter
- W Smith: Jr. American journalist and author
- Armand Louis Joseph Marsick: Composer, dies at 81.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1959 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Frankie Avalon - Venus
- The Fleetwoods - Come Softly To Me
- Dave Baby Cortez - The Happy Organ
- The Impalas - Sorry (I Ran All The Way Home)
- Elvis Presley - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
- Dodie Stevens - Pink Shoe Laces
- Elvis Presley - I Need Your Love Tonight
- The Virtues - Guitar Boogie Shuffle
- Travis and Bob - Tell Him No
- Fabian - Turn Me Loose
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 30 April 1959 and get them!