Wednesday 30 August 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, directed by Alfred Werker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1939.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 August 1939!
Which were the important events of 30 August 1939 ?
- International Day of the Disappeared
- Turkey - Victory Day (to commemorate the Battle of Dumlupinar in 1922)
- Peru - Saint Rose of Lima's Day
- Michel Chevalet: French TV journalist, a science reporter seen on science specials and information channels.
- Elisabeth Ashley: Ocala Actor.
- John Peel: English radio host and producer (d. 2004).
- Elizabeth Ashley [Cole]: Ocala, Florida -- Actress (Coma, Evening Shade).
- François Maupu: French Catholic clergyman, the Bishop Emeritus of Verdun since 2014.
- Elizabeth Ashley: American actress, young, beautiful and intense when she appeared in her first stage role in "Take Her, She's Mine," 1961-62, for which she won a Tony. In 1963 she starred in the comedy, "Barefoot in the Park," and made her screen debut the following year in "The Carpetbaggers." After two more films, she withdrew from her public life until the early '70s.
- 6th NFL Chicago All-Star Game: New York Giants 9, All-Stars 0 (81,456)
- General Reijnders appointed Supreme Commander of Dutch army
- Isoroku Yamamoto appointed Supreme Commander of Japanese fleet
- Poland mobilizes
- New York Yankees' Atley Donald pitches a baseball a record 94.7 mph (152 kph).
- Poland begins a mobilization against Nazi Germany.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?