Saturday 30 August 2008
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Disturbia by Rihanna.
Slumdog Millionaire, directed by Danny Boyle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2008
while Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2008.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 August 2008!
Which were the important events of 30 August 2008 ?
- International Day of the Disappeared
- Turkey - Victory Day (to commemorate the Battle of Dumlupinar in 1922)
- Peru - Saint Rose of Lima's Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 30 August
- Killer Kowalski: Canadian-American wrestler and trainer (d. 2008).
- Mass marches are held in more than 70 cities across Mexico, demanding stronger action against violent crime. (AP via CNN)
- The 2008 Panzhihua Earthquake in China's Sichuan province kills at least 15 people and injures dozens more. (Reuters via MSNBC)
- 2008 South Ossetia war:
- Russia announces that South Ossetia will join 'one united Russian state' (The Times).
- Hurricane Gustav:
- The National Hurricane Center advises that Hurricane Gustav has strengthened to Category 4 strength. (AP via Google News)
- Cuba evacuates 60,000 people from the west of the island as Gustav approaches the island at Category 3 strength. (This is London)
- New Orleans residents start evacuating the city as it is expected to make landfall in the United States west of the city. (''New York Daily News'')
- A hurricane watch is issued from High Island, Texas, east to the border of Alabama and Florida. (AP via ''Minneapolis Star Tribune'')
- An overcrowded Indian Army boat carrying dozens of victims of the 2008 Indian floods capsizes killing at least 25 people and taking the death toll to 85. (Reuters via ''Los Angeles Times'')
- The Pakistan Army claims that 30 militants have been killed in Swat, NWFP, in heavy fighting in recent days. (AP via ''the Guardian'')
- Italy compensates Libya for the forced colonization in the 1910s, promising to pay US$5 billion over the next 25 years. (Bloomberg)
- The head of the Mahdi Army in Karbala, Iraq, is sentenced to death over the Battle of Karbala (2007) ( AFP)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2008 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?