Tuesday 30 August 2011
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Reema Saleh .
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
We Need to Talk About Kevin, directed by Lynne Ramsay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Girl Parts.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Battle Nations or Battlefield Play4Free.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 30 August 2011 ?
- International Day of the Disappeared
- Turkey - Victory Day (to commemorate the Battle of Dumlupinar in 1922)
- Peru - Saint Rose of Lima's Day
- Three suicide bombings leave 9 dead and 20 wounded in Grozny, the capital of the Republic of Chechnya, Russia. (CNN)
- The Libyan National Transitional Council gives an ultimatum to supporters of Muammar Gaddafi in Sirte to surrender by the end of Eid ul-Fitr on Saturday. (''The Scotsman'')
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. asks a bankruptcy court to let creditors vote on a reorganization plan that would pay its creditors, on average, $0.20 on the dollar. (Reuters)
- Hurricane Irene:
- The death toll from Hurricane Irene reaches 40 in the continental United States plus three people in the Dominican Republic and one in Puerto Rico. (Associated Press)
- The New England state of Vermont suffers its worst flooding in 100 years. (Associated Press)
- The U.S. state of New Jersey suffers extensive flooding with Passaic County, Mercer County and Middlesex County worst affected. (''International Business Times'')
- Monsoonal rain causes heavy floods in the Indian state of Gujarat. (IBN Live)
- Nineteen coal miners are rescued from a flooded pit in China's Heilongjiang Province. (Xinhua)
- At least 25 people are killed and thousands displaced due to floods in Ibadan, southwest Nigeria over the weekend.
- The Popocatepetl volcano south of Mexico City starts spewing ash into the sky. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- A TTC bus collides with a hydraulic crane mounted on a construction truck on Lawrence Avenue Toronto, killing one and injuring thirteen, in the first such incident since the Russell Hill subway accident in 1995. (''The Hamilton Spectator'')
- While reportedly on his way to surrender to police in Atlanta, Georgia to face murder charges, former National Basketball Association player Javaris Crittenton is arrested by the FBI at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California. (Associated Press via ESPN)
- New Japanese Prime Minister:
- The Cabinet of former Prime Minister of Japan Naoto Kan resigns en masse following the election of Yoshihiko Noda as the presumptive Prime Minister. (Nikkei)
- Kenneth E. Melson is replaced as the acting head of the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives as a result of a controversial gun trafficking operation called Operation Fast and Furious. (''Washington Post'')
- Environmentalists, citing greenhouse gas emissions and risks of a oil spills, including climatologist James Hansen are arrested outside the White House in Washington D.C. in a protest to urge President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp.'s $7 billion proposed Keystone Pipeline extension from the Athabasca Oil Sands in northern Alberta in Canada to the US Gulf Coast. (NPR)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 30 August 2011
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?