Saturday 30 December 1944
It was Saturday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Meet Me in St. Louis, directed by Vincente Minnelli, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1944.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 December 1944!
Which were the important events of 30 December 1944 ?
- The sixth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Pope Felix I (optional memorial)
- Philippines - Rizal Day
- Lynne Burmyn: American astrologer who had a chart service she called "Womynscope.
- Patrick Topaloff: French comedian, singer, and actor.
- William Fallon: American admiral.
- Jean Fergusson: English actress.
- William J Fallon: U.
- Joseph Hilbe: Philosopher
- Romain Roland: French writer/pacifist (Nobel Prize 1915), dies at age 78.
- King George II of Greece declares a regency, leaving the throne vacant.
- Edward Stettinius Jr. becomes the last United States Secretary of State of the Roosevelt administration, filling the seat left by Cordell Hull.
- WWII: Hungary declares war on Nazi Germany.
- WWII: Battle of Leyte: Tens of thousands of Imperial Japanese Army soldiers are killed in action, in a significant Filipino and Allied military victory.
- The 1944 Summer Olympics, scheduled for London (together with the February Winter Olympics scheduled for Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy), are suspended due to WWII.
- Swedish children's author Astrid Lindgren publishes her first book, ''Pippi Longstocking''.
- In Sweden, Erik Wallenberg and Ruben Rausing invent a way to package milk in paper and start the company Tetra Pak.
- Hans Asperger publishes his paper on Asperger syndrome.
- The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence is established in the United States.
- Canadian Arctic explorer Henry Larsen becomes the first person to successfully navigate the Northwest Passage in both directions in a schooner. He chronicles the event in his autobiography, ''The Big Ship''.()ampref name=ampquotReferenceAampquot/amp
- Last known evidence for the existence of the Asiatic lion in the wild in Iran (Khuzestan Province).
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1944 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I Dream Of You (More Than You Dream I Do) - Andy Russell
- Frank Sinatra - White Christmas
- Robin Hood - Tony Pastor
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?