Friday 30 December 1949
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Bruce Davidson and Linda Goudey.
All the King's Men, directed by Robert Rossen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching The Steve Allen Show.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 30 December 1949!
Which were the important events of 30 December 1949 ?
- The sixth day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- R.C. Saints - Pope Felix I (optional memorial)
- Philippines - Rizal Day
- Bruce Davidson: Equestrian 3-day (1996 Olympics - Silver Medalist).
- Linda Goudey: American homicide victim who was found asphyxiated in her car 10/04/1993, after disappearing 9/30/1993.
- David Bedford: English runner.
- Jim Flaherty: Canadian lawyer and politician 37th Canadian Minister of Finance (d. 2014).
- The Malta Labour Party is founded.
- The Vatican announces that bones uncovered in its subterranean catacombs could be the apostle Peter 19 years later, Pope Paul VI announces confirmation that the bones belong to this first pope.ampquotYear by Year 1949ampquot – History Channel International.
- The first 20nbspmm M61 Vulcan Gatling gun prototypes are completed.
- 1949 was the first year in which no African-American was reported lynched in the USA.''From Harding to Hiroshima'' by Barrington Boardman (1988), p. 14. ISBN 0-934878-94-3
- Joseph Stalin launches a savage attack on Soviet Jews, accusing them of being pro-Western and antisocialist.
- Samuel Putnam publishes his new translation of ''Don Quixote'', the first in what we would consider modern English. It is instantly acclaimed and, in 2008, is still in print.
- Fernand Braudel's ''La Méditerranée et le Monde Méditerranéen à l'Epoque de Philippe II'' is published.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1949 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Blue Christmas - Hugo Winterhalter & His Orchestra
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?