Saturday 31 August 1940
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Boom Town, directed by Jack Conway, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1940
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1940.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1940!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1940 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Jack Thompson [John Pain]: Sydney, NSW -- Actor (Breaker Morant).
- Alain Calmat: French surgeon and politician, formerly ice skater, he won a gold medal at the 1965 world championship and a silver at tha 1964 Olympics.
- Robbie Basho: American guitarist pianist and composer (d. 1986).
- Wilton Felder: American saxophonist and bass player (The Crusaders) (d. 2015).
- Larry Hankin: American actor director producer and screenwriter.
- Robert Morris: English actor
- Roger Newman: British-born American actor and television writer (Born 1940)
- Jack Thompson: Australian actor and producer
- 1st edition pf illegal opposition newspaper Free Netherlands
- 56 U-boats sunk this month (268,000 ton)
- Fighter Command loses 39 / Luftwaffe 41 airplanes
- German occupiers in the Netherlands begin soap ration
- US National Guard assembles
- Pennsylvania Central Airlines Trip 19 crashes near Lovettsville, Virginia. The CAB investigation of the accident is the first investigation to be conducted under the Bureau of Air Commerce act of 1938.
Make this date unforgettable
Get back in touch
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?