Monday 31 August 1942
It was Monday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Isao Aoki and Carole Wells in Shreveport.
Across the Pacific, directed by John Huston, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1942
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1942!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1942 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Isao Aoki: Abiko Chiba, Japan -- PGA golfer (1983 Hawaiian Open).
- Carole Wells in Shreveport: Louisiana, USA; actress (Pistols n Petticoats).
- Christopher Morgan: American TV producer who was nominated for an Emmy for "Police Story," at the awards ceremony in Santa Monica, CA on 5/19/1975.
- Daniel Percheron: French politician who has served in the Senate of France, representing the Pas-de-Calais department, since 1983.
- Von Bismarck: German major General, (Africa Corps), dies in battle.
- Battle at Alam Halfa: German and Italians assault
- U-boats sunk this month 108 ships (544,000 ton)
- A general strike is launched in Luxembourg to protest against forced conscription.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 31 August 1942
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?