Friday 31 August 1945
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Leonid Ivanovich Popov and Van Morrison.
State Fair, directed by Walter Lang, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1945
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1945!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1945 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Leonid Ivanovich Popov: USSR -- Cosmonaut (Soyuz 35 / 37, 40, T-7).
- Van Morrison: Irish musician, singer, songwriter, bandleader, bassist, saxophonist, guitarist, drummer and harmonica player.
- Itzhak Perlman: Israeli-American violinist, conductor, and pedagogue.
- Bob Welch: American guitarist, singer and songwriter with Fleetwood Mac from April 1971 to December 1974.
- Lee Bryant: American actress.
- The Liberal Party of Australia is founded by Robert Menzies.
- WWII: Allied troops arrest German field marshal Walther von Brauchitsch.
- Japanese general Tomoyuki Yamashita surrenders to Filipino and American forces at Kiangan, Ifugao.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1945 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Perry Como - (Did You Ever Get) That Feeling in the Moonlight
- Ella Fitzgerald & Delta Rhythm Boys - It's Only a Paper Moon
- On The Atcheson, Topeka, and the Santa Fe - Tommy Tucker & His Orchestra
- Hoagy Carmichael - Hong Kong Blues
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?