Tuesday 31 August 1948
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Howard Porter and Harald Ertl.
Sorry, Wrong Number, directed by Anatole Litvak, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
On TV people were watching Lucky Pup.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1948.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1948!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1948 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Howard Porter: American athlete, a pro basketball player for seven seasons, playing for the Chicago Bulls, NY Knicks, Detroit Pistons and the New Jersey Nets.
- Harald Ertl: Austrian race car driver and journalist (d. 1982).
- Lowell Ganz: American screenwriter and producer.
- Ken McMullen: English director producer and screenwriter.
- Holger Osieck: German footballer and manager.
- Rudolf Schenker: German guitarist and songwriter (Scorpions)
- Queen Wilhelmina celebrates 50th jubilee
- Actor Robert Mitchum is arrested in a Hollywood drug raid. He would later be found guilty of criminal conspiracy to possess marijuana and sentenced to 60 days in prison.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1948 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?