Saturday 31 August 1957
It was Saturday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Tom Candiotti and Colm O'Rourke.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear by Elvis Presley.
In UK All Shook Up by Elvis Presley was in the top 5 hits.
Quatermass II: Enemy from Space, directed by Val Guest, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1957
while Letter From Peking by Pearl S. Buck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The New Adventures of Charlie Chan.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1957!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1957 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Tom Candiotti: American pro baseball pitcher.
- Colm O'Rourke: Irish footballer and sportscaster.
- Gina Schock: American drummer songwriter and actress (The Go-Go's and Edie and the Eggs).
- Glenn Tilbrook: English singer-songwriter and guitarist (Squeeze and Difford & Tilbrook).
- Malayasia (formerly Malaya) gains independence from Britain
- The Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia) gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 31 August 1957
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1957 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Elvis Presley - (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
- Debbie Reynolds - Tammy
- The Everly Brothers - Bye Bye Love
- Pat Boone - Love Letters In The Sand
- The Coasters - Searchin'
- Paul Anka - Diana
- Jimmy Dorsey - So Rare
- Billy Williams - I'm Gonna Sit Right Down & Write Myself A Letter
- Larry Williams - Short Fat Fannie
- The Dell-Vikings - Whispering Bells
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?