Thursday 31 August 1961
It was Thursday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Wooden Heart by Joe Dowell.
In UK You Don't Know by Helen Shapiro was in the top 5 hits.
Yojimbo, directed by Akira Kurosawa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1961!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1961 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Magnus Ilmjärv: Estonian historian and author.
- David Chastain: heavy metal rocker (Chastain - "Rule of Wasteland").
- Amsterdam National Ballet forms
- Construction of the Berlin Wall is completed after just 18 days.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Joe Dowell - Wooden Heart
- Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
- The Highwaymen - Michael
- Mar-Keys - Last Night
- Ral Donner - You Don't Know What You've Got (Until You Lose It)
- Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That, Part 1
- Gary (U.S.) Bonds - School Is Out
- Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes
- Linda Scott - Don't Bet Money Honey
- Timi Yuro - Hurt
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?