Sunday 31 August 1980
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Jimmy Carter (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Joselyn Dumas and Joe Budden.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Sailing by Christopher Cross.
In UK The Winner Takes It All by Abba was in the top 5 hits.
Smokey and the Bandit II, directed by Hal Needham, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1980
while Rage Of Angels by Sidney Sheldon was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Mysterious World.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Compu-Spell or Computer Conflict.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 1980!
Which were the important events of 31 August 1980 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
Famous Birthdays:31 August
- Oklahoma! closes at Palace Theater NYC after 301 performances
- 80th US Golf Amateur Championship won by Hal Sutton
- Zimbabwe establishes diplomatic relations with Algeria.
- Victory of the strike in Gdańsk Shipyard, Poland. Gdańsk Agreement is signed, opening a way to start the first in the communist block free organization not controlled by regime quotSolidarnośćquot i.e. Solidarity.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 31 August 1980
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1980 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Christopher Cross - Sailing
- Diana Ross - Upside Down
- Olivia Newton-John - Magic
- The Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue
- The S.O.S. Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) Part 1
- Irene Cara - Fame
- Air Supply - All Out Of Love
- George Benson - Give Me The Night
- Pete Townshend - Let My Love Open The Door
- Kim Carnes - More Love
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?