Friday 31 December 1948
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Golden Boy, directed by Rouben Mamoulian, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1948
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 1948!
Which were the important events of 31 December 1948 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- Joe Dallesandro: American actor, model and 'Warhol superstar.
- Rene Robert: National Hockey League player.
- Joe Dallessandro: American actor and Warhol superstar.
- Viktor Mikhailovich Afanasieyv in Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-11: TM-18).
- Tony Hamilton: rocker (Aerosmith).
- Donna Summer in Boston: Massachusetts, USA; singer ("Love to Love You Baby", "On the Radio").
- Joe Dallesandro in Pensicola: Florida, USA; actor (Heat, Trash, AW Frankenstein).
- Donna Summer: American singer who began her career by singing with a number of Boston rock groups, Tested for a role in the Broadway production of the musical "Hair," she was offered instead the lead in the Munich production, 1968. She moved on to the Vienna production in 1971 where she met and married an Austrian actor, Helomut Sommer. She starred in "Godspell" in Germany 1973 and found enthusiastic fans for her records in Germany.
- Sandy Jardine: Scottish footballer and manager (d. 2014)
- René Robert: Canadian ice hockey player
- Dutch police actions up Java gone on strike
- 1948 Arab-Israeli War: Israeli troops drive the Egyptians from Negev
- Brandeis University is founded.
- The Casimir effect is discovered by Dutch physicist Hendrik Casimir.
- The Fresh Kills Landfill, the world's largest, opens on Staten Island, New York.
- The Oakridge Transit Centre opens in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- The Slovak city Gúta is renamed Kolárovo.
- The Tunnel of Vielha is opened in the Aran Valley, Spanish Pyrenees.
- Last recorded sighting of the Caspian Tiger in Kazakhstan.
- A pack of wolves kills about 40 children in Darovskoy District, in Russia.
- Charles Warrell creates the first I-Spy books.
- Rev.W.Awdry's third book James the Red Engine is published.
- Last edition of the Index Librorum Prohibitorum is published in the Vatican.
- Kinsey Report, ''Sexual Behavior in the Human Male'', is published.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 31 December 1948 and get them!