Monday 31 December 1973, NewYear’s Eve
It was Monday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hiroyuki Miura and Curtis Myden in Calgary.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce.
Don't Look Now, directed by Nicolas Roeg, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1973
while The Honorary Consul by Graham Greene was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching How to Survive a Marriage.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Lunar Lander or Space Race.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1973.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 1973!
Which were the important events of 31 December 1973 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- Hiroyuki Miura: hockey defenseman (Team Japan 1998).
- Curtis Myden in Calgary: Alberta, Canada; 200 metre/400 metre swimmer (Olympics-2 bronze-1996).
- Shandon Anderson: American basketball player.
- Crystal Knight: American porn actress and model.
- Malcolm Middleton: Scottish singer-songwriter and guitarist (Arab Strap).
- 40th Sugar Bowl: Notre Dame 24 beats Alabama 23.
- 61st Australian Men's Tennis: John Newcombe beats O Parun (6-3, 6-7, 7-5, 6-1).
- Johan Cruyff chosen European soccer Player of Year.
- In the United Kingdom, due to coal shortages caused by industrial action, the Three-Day Week electricity consumption reduction measure comes into force.
- ODECA functions suspended.
- Economist E. F. Schumacher publishes his book ''Small is Beautiful''.
- The National House Building Council is formed in the United Kingdom.
- The COSC The Swiss Official Chronometer testing Institute is founded in Switzerland by 5 Watch Cantons Federation of the Swiss Watch Industry FH.
- The title Queen of Australia is created by the Royal Style and Titles Act.
- Confirming the descriptions of bulkhead hull compartments for Chinese sailing ships in Zhu Yu's ''Pingzhou Table Talks'' of 1119, a large Song Dynasty trade ship of c. 1277 A.D. is dredged up from the waters near the southern coast of China that had 12 bulkhead compartment rooms in its hull.
- Sentosa Musical Fountain opens along side the Fountain Gardens in Sentosa, Singapore.
- 5 teams tie for rugby championship: wales, England, France, ireland, and Italy
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1973 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jim Croce - Time In A Bottle
- Steve Miller Band - The Joker
- Helen Reddy - Leave Me Alone (Ruby Red Dress)
- Charlie Rich - The Most Beautiful Girl
- Al Wilson - Show And Tell
- Brownsville Station - Smokin' In The Boy's Room
- Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
- Barry White - Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up
- Stevie Wonder - Living For The City
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - I've Got To Use My Imagination
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?