Thursday 31 December 1981
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican). In that special week of December people in US were listening to Physical by Olivia Newton-John.
In UK Don't You Want Me by The Human League was in the top 5 hits.
Neighbors, directed by John G. Avildsen, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1981
while An Indecent Obsession by Colleen McCullough was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1981.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 1981!
Which were the important events of 31 December 1981 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- Ricky Whittle: TV Actor.
- Jason Campbell: American football player.
- Margaret Simpson: Ghanaian heptathlete.
- Matthew Pavlich: Australian rules footballer who plays for the Fremantle Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL).
- Frantisek Chaun: Composer, dies at 60.
- CNN Headline News debuts.
- Lt Jerry Rawlings becomes head of Ghana, suspends constitution
- Netherlands unemployment stands at record 475,000.
- A coup d'etat in Ghana removes President Hilla Limann's PNP government and replaces it with the Provisional National Defence Council led by Flight Lieutenant Jerry Rawlings.
- Heavy snow causes many houses and buildings to collapse in northwestern Japan 152 are killed (from January to March).
- The Millennium translation of Saint Edward the Martyr's relics from Wareham to Shaftesbury is observed in a reenactment.
- The State Council of the People's Republic of China lists the 4 cities (Beijing, Hangzhou, Suzhou and Guilin) as those where the protection of historical and cultural heritage, as well as natural scenery, should be treated as a priority project.
- Cuba suffers a major outbreak of Dengue fever, with 344,203 cases.
- Donkey Kong becomes the first ever Super Mario game.
- Polybius, an urban legend game, is said to have been released in 1981.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1981 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Olivia Newton-John - Physical
- Foreigner - Waiting For A Girl Like You
- Earth, Wind & Fire - Let's Groove
- Daryl Hall & John Oates - I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
- Rod Stewart - Young Turks
- Quarterflash - Harden My Heart
- Diana Ross - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Stevie Nicks - Leather And Lace
- Journey - Don't Stop Believin'
- Lindsey Buckingham - Trouble
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?