Thursday 31 December 2009, NewYear’s Eve
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of December people in US were listening to TiK ToK by Ke$ha.
Magic, directed by Robert Davi, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Going Rogue: An American Life by Sarah Palin was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Neon Tiki Tribe Series.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Cobra 11: Highway Nights (Crash Time III) or Alien Breed: Evolution.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 December 2009!
Which were the important events of 31 December 2009 ?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 December
- A High Court in Malaysia rules that the country's Christians have a constitutional right to use the word ''Allah'' in reference to God, declaring the government's ban on the use of ''Allah'' by non-Muslims as unconstitutional. (''BBC News'')
- Former Catholic Primate of All Ireland Cardinal Cahal Daly, ampquotthe hierarchy's foremost theologian and its most trenchant critic of politically-inspired violenceampquot, dies in Belfast aged 92. (Reuters)
- Senegalese President Abdoulaye Wade issues an apology to ampquothumiliatedampquot Christians for comparing an ampquotidolatrousampquot statue to Jesus Christ. (''Daily Nation'')
- Two French journalists and their translator are kidnapped in Kapisa Province, Afghanistan. (Radio Netherlands Worldwide)
- The Government of Serbia decides to sue Croatia for genocide before the International Court of Justice. (B92)
- The University of Cambridge successfully acquires a collection of Siegfried Sassoon's personal papers for £1.25 million, following a six-month fundraising campaign. (Reuters)
- At least six people are killed by a gunman at a shopping centre in Espoo, near Helsinki. (Reuters)
- Lithuania shuts the Baltic region's one and only nuclear power station in Visaginas. The Lithuanian nuclear power station provides 70% of the nation's energy and was traded for membership to the European Union. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- ''Les Choristes'' by Impressionist artist Edgar Degas mysteriously disappears from Marseilles's Cantini Museum. (Reuters)
- Van Morrison tells ''RTÉ News at One'' that a baby his own website claimed he has fathered does not exist and that he has never met the alleged mother. (Statement)
- Patrick Stewart, the actor who played Captain Jean-Luc Picard in ''Star Trek: The Next Generation'' and Professor X in ''X-Men'', is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom. (''The Guardian'')
- Both a blue moon and a lunar eclipse occur. (RTÉ)
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 2009 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?