Friday 31 July 2009
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of July people in US were listening to I Gotta Feeling by The Black Eyed Peas.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, directed by Stephen Sommers, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Glenn Beck's Common Sense by Glenn Beck was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The WiseGuys.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Company of Heroes Online.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 July 2009!
Which were the important events of 31 July 2009 ?
- St. John Columbini
- Republic of the Congo - Upswing of the Revolution
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Saint Ignatius of Loyola (founder of the Jesuits)
- St. Conrode (son of Leo and Kurt / El Gauchito Gil's former wife)
- St. Helen of Skofde
- La Hae Hawai?i - Hawaiian Flag Day
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 31 July
- Nigerian battles
- The commander of the operation against the Boko Haram group claims that Islamic sect leader Mohammed Yusuf was alive when captured. (BBC)
- Human Rights Watch calls for a probe into the death. (Al Jazeera)
- Spain is on red alert as ETA marks its 50th anniversary following the bombing of Burgos and the bombing of Palma Nova. (RTÉ)
- An airport in Ibiza is evacuated as police search for four male and two female suspects. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
- A new media law limiting freedom of speech, under which journalists could be imprisoned for publishing ampquotharmfulampquot material, is placed before the National Assembly. (''The Washington Post'')
- The Inter American Press Association (IAPA) says the bill is ampquota devastating blow at the remains of democracyampquot in Venezuela. (''El Universal'')
- U.S. House of Representatives approves an extra $2 billion to the Car Allowance Rebate System. (''The Wall Street Journal'')
- A Norwegian cargo vessel with a crew of six sinks after a storm in Swedish waters near Strömstad. (RTÉ)
- Eight Dutch tourists are killed and 42 people are injured in a bus crash near Barcelona. (''The Times of India'')
- Patrizia D'Addario, the escort at the centre of Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi's sex scandal, claims he and his party offered her a seat in the European Parliament until his wife complained. (BBC)
- Gazprom launches construction of the Sakhalin–Khabarovsk–Vladivostok gas pipeline. (UPI)
- British Airways loses £148m in the last three months, the company's first loss since privatisation in 1987. (Sky News)
- The verdict in the trial of National League for Democracy General Secretary Aung San Suu Kyi, scheduled for today, is postponed until August 11. (''The Straits Times'')
- 28 people are killed in Iraq after bombs explode at Shiite mosques in Baghdad. (AFP)
- Space Shuttle ''Endeavour'' lands at Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, United States, ending a 16-day mission to the International Space Station (ISS). (BBC)
- Aerial photographs reveal the streetplan of the lost Roman city of Altinum, regarded by some scholars as a forerunner of Venice. (''The Times'')
- Briton Gary McKinnon, accused of carrying out the biggest ever U.S. military hacking operation, loses his court appeal to have his case heard in Britain, and faces extradition to the United States. (RTÉ)
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 31 July 2009
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Black Eyed Peas - I Gotta Feeling
- Best I Ever Had - Drake
- Taylor Swift - You Belong With Me
- Keri Hilson - Knock You Down
- Sean Kingston - Fire Burning
- The Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow
- Lady GaGa - LoveGame
- Pitbull - I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)
- Birthday Sex - Jeremih
- Katy Perry - Waking Up In Vegas
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?