Wednesday 31 May 1961
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was John F. Kennedy (Democratic). In that special week of May people in US were listening to Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson.
In UK Blue Moon by The Marcels was in the top 5 hits.
The Last Sunset, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1961
while The Agony And The Ecstasy by Irving Stone was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1961.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 May 1961!
Which were the important events of 31 May 1961 ?
- World No Tobacco Day.
- Syaday (Discordianism) (5th day of the season of Confusion, honors Apostle Sri Syadasti).
- Saint Gislemerio
- Saint Mechtilde of Diessen
- Saint Petronella.
- the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- The Godiva procession.
- IT Day.
- Harry Enfield: Comedian (Dermot-Men Behaving Badly, Saturday Live).
- Patti Stanger: Reality Star.
- Victoria Ruffo: Soap Opera Actress.
- Lea Thompson in Rochester: Minnesota, USA; actress (Back to the Future, Caroline In The City, Casual Sex, Space Camp).
- Ray Cote: Canadian ice hockey player.
- Justin Madden: Australian footballer and politician
- Lea Thompson: American dancer and actress, starring in the Nutcracker Suite at age 4; at 14 she was a member of the Minnesota Dance Theater and at 20, with the San Francisco Ballet Co. Thompson moved to New York City at 21 to act in commercials and the following year, began doing bit parts in several movies. She hit the big time in 1985 when she was cast as Michael Fox's young mother in the hit film "Back to the Future," followed by its two sequels. Other films include, "Casual Sex?" and "Some Kind of Wonderf
- Walter Little: Canadian politician (Born 1877).
- JFK visits Charles de Gaulle in Paris
- Judge Irving Kaufman orders Board of Education of New Rochelle to integrate.
- Benfica wins 6th Europe Cup 1 at Bern, Switzerland.
- Union of South Africa becomes a republic, leaving the British Commonwealth.
- Chuck Berry's amusement park Berryland opens in Saint Louis, Missouri, USA.
- Republic of South Africa created.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1961 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man
- Shep and the Limelites - Daddy's Home
- Roy Orbison - Running Scared
- The Shirelles - Mama Said
- Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law
- Del Shannon - Runaway
- Connie Francis - Breakin' In A Brand New Broken Heart
- Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay
- Elvis Presley - I Feel So Bad
- The Fleetwoods - Tragedy
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?