Thursday 31 October 1968
It was Thursday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Hey Jude by The Beatles.
In UK Those Were The Days by Mary Hopkin was in the top 5 hits.
Head, directed by Bob Rafelson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Salzburg Connection by Helen MacInnes was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1968.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 October 1968!
Which were the important events of 31 October 1968 ?
- October 31st is Nevada Day
- Protestant Church - Reformation Day: Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses on the Wittenberg church on this day in 1517
- Wikipedia - Wikipedia:Tim Starling Day
- Cornwall - Allantide
- October 31st is Halloween; also see Samhain (an approximate date)
- St. Wolfgang
- St Urban
- St. Quentin
- St. Notburga
- St. Bega
- Paganism and Celts - Samhain
- St. Arnulf
- Also see October 31 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- R.C. Saints - October 31 is the feast day of the following Roman Catholic Saints: St. Antoninus
- Antonio Davis: American basketball player: forward/center, Pacers.
- Eddie Taubensee: Beeville, Texas -- Catcher (Cin Reds).
- Russ McCullough: WLAF offensive linebacker (Frankfurt Galaxy).
- Ali McErlaine: Scottish rock musician with the band Texas, playing with Sharleen Spiteri and Johnny McElhone.
- Linda Eastman moves to UK permanently
- President Johnson orders a halt to all bombing of North Vietnam
- Milwaukee Bucks win their first game beating Detroit Pistons 138-118 (6th game).
- Vietnam War October surprise: Citing progress with the Paris peace talks, US President Lyndon B. Johnson announces to the nation that he has ordered a complete cessation of ''all air, naval, and artillery bombardment of North Vietnam'' effective November 1.
- U.S. presidential election, 1968: Republican challenger Richard M. Nixon defeats the Democratic candidate, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, and American Independent Party candidate George C. Wallace.
- Luis A. Ferre is elected Governor of Puerto Rico.
- Vietnam War: Operation Commando Hunt is initiated to interdict men and supplies on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, through Laos into South Vietnam. By the end of the operation, 3 million tons of bombs are dropped on Laos, slowing but not seriously disrupting trail operations.
- A second republic is declared in the Maldives.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
- Mary Hopkin - Those Were The Days
- O.C. Smith - Little Green Apples
- The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - Fire
- The Grass Roots - Midnight Confessions
- The Turtles - Elenore
- Gary Puckett - Over You
- Johnny Nash - Hold Me Tight
- Diana Ross and the Supremes - Love Child
- Cream - White Room
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?