January 1966 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1966.
The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Harold Wilson (Labour), Pope St Paul VI was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1966: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1966?
- 01 Jan 1966 12 day transit worker strike shuts down NYC subway
- 02 Jan 1966 Green Bay Packers beat Cleveland Browns 23-12 in NFL championship game.
- 03 Jan 1966 Floyd B McKissick, named National Director of CORE
- 04 Jan 1966 WFLD TV channel 32 in Chicago, IL (IND) begins broadcasting
- 07 Jan 1966 Dance Theatre of Harlem debuts
- 08 Jan 1966 Who and the Kinks perform on the last Shindig TV show on ABC
- 09 Jan 1966 Polish government denies exit visa to Cardinal Wyszynski revisionism.
- 10 Jan 1966 India and Pakistan sign peace accord.
- 11 Jan 1966 Daktari African adventure series premieres on CBS TV
- 12 Jan 1966 Batman with Adam West and Burt Ward premieres on ABC TV
- 13 Jan 1966 1st black selected for Presidential Ccabinet
- 15 Jan 1966 AFL Pro Bowl: All-Stars beats Buffalo 30-19.
- 16 Jan 1966 Harold R Perry becomes 2nd black Roman Catholic Bishop in US
- 17 Jan 1966 B-52 / KC-135 tankers crash near Spanish coast at Palomares, 7 die
- 18 Jan 1966 Robert C Weaver, confirmed as 1st black cabinet member (HUD)
- 19 Jan 1966 Tippetts cantate Vision of St. Augustine, premieres in London
- 20 Jan 1966 Demonstrations occur against high food prices in Hungary.
- 21 Jan 1966 Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro resigns due to a power struggle in his party.
- 24 Jan 1966 WDIO TV channel 10 in Duluth, MN (ABC) begins broadcasting
- 25 Jan 1966 WCMC (now WMGM) TV channel 40 in Wildwood, New Jersey (NBC) 1st broadcast
- 26 Jan 1966 Ard Schenk skates world record 1500m (2:06.2).
- 27 Jan 1966 The British government promises the U.S. that British troops in Malaysia will stay until more peaceful conditions occur in the region.
- 29 Jan 1966 Sweet Charity opens at Palace Theater NYC for 608 performances
- 30 Jan 1966 Dmitri Sjostakovitsj completes his 11th string quartet
- 31 Jan 1966 USSR launches Luna 9 towards Moon
American actor, and race car driver, he is widely known for his role of neurosurgeon in the TV serie "Grey's Anatomy".
French film actor, born to a Spanish boxer, he obtained the César Award of "Most promising actor" for "1,2,3, Sun" in 1994.
Model / Wife of John Kennedy Jr.
- See more
Swiss sculptor and painter, known for his unique interpretations of proportion and space.
Writer, dies at 91.
German dentist / writer (Tolle Bomberg), dies at 84.
French Canadian composer (Born 1927).
- See more