December 2015 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in December 2015.
The US president was Barack Obama (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was David Cameron (Conservative), Pope Francis was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on December 2015: find out below
Which were the important events of December 2015?
- 01 Dec 2015 Azerbaijan's law enforcement agencies launch an operation against Islamists at Nardaran, a suburb of Baku.
- 02 Dec 2015 Yemeni Civil War (2015), Al-Qaeda Insurgency in Yemen. Al-Qaeda militants take control of Zinjibar (capital of Yemen's southern Abyan Governorate) and the town of Ja'ar following fierce clashes against pro-Hadi forces.
- 03 Dec 2015 Operation Tidal Wave II, military intervention against ISIL: The Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom bombs Islamic State of Iraq (and Levant-controlled oil fields in eastern Syria) The raids involved at least four Tornado GR4 fighter planes operating from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus. According to the Ministry of Defence, initial analysis showed that the strikes had been successful.
- 04 Dec 2015 War in Afghanistan (2001-present: At least 12 people are killed in a mortar attack in Afghanistan's central Wardak Province.
- 05 Dec 2015 Iraqi Civil War (2014-2017). The Government of Iraq asks Turkey to withdraw its troops in northern Iraq near Mosul, which is under the control of Islamic State. According to the Iraqi Foreign Ministry, Turkish forces entered Iraqi territory in defiance of Baghdad's central government. (AFP via Yahoo).
- 06 Dec 2015 Yemeni Civil War (2015-2018): Jaafar Muhammad Saad, governor of Yemen's south Aden Governorate, and six of his guards were killed in a suicide bomber attack in Aden, the port city. The attack was claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 07 Dec 2015 The Syrian government claims that a U.S.-led coalition military airstrike against a Syrian Army camp was carried out by the U.S., which killed three soldiers and injured thirteen others. Senior U.S. military officials denied responsibility for the strike and stated that it was likely a Russian attack.
- 08 Dec 2015 According to a source close the investigation, Syed Farook made a $28,500 bank deposit to his account two weeks prior to the San Bernardino massacre. Investigators are investigating whether the transaction was a personal loan, or something else.
- 09 Dec 2015 Israeli-Palestinian Conflict (2015): A drive-by shooting attack at Avnei Hefetz injures an Israeli couple. (The Times of Israel). A Palestinian man injures an Israeli soldier and civilian in a stabbing attack. The attacker is then shot and killed in Hebron by security forces. (The Jerusalem Post).Israeli soldiers kill a teenager in a raid on a refugee camp located in Bethlehem, West Bank.
- 10 Dec 2015 According to the United States, three senior ISIL leaders were killed in coalition airstrikes. Abu Salah, the financial minister of ISIL, was one of the senior leaders responsible for coordination with the group's extortion activities. Another leader who served as an executive officer was also killed.
- 11 Dec 2015 War in Afghanistan (2001-present: Taliban claim responsibility for an attack on a car bomb near Kabul's Spanish Embassy. At least one Spanish security guard was killed.
- 12 Dec 2015 Iraqi Civil War (2014-17): Six guards are killed when a suicide bomber targets an Iraqi Army post at Al Anbar Governorate, on the border to Saudi Arabia.
- 13 Dec 2015 War in North-West Pakistan: A bombing at a second-hand clothing market in Parachinar, Kurram Valley killed at least 25 people and injured dozens more.
- 14 Dec 2015 Yemeni Civil War (2015), Saudi Arabian-led Intervention in Yemen: Two top Saudi Arabian army commanders are killed. Colonel Abdullah al-Sahyan is the head of Saudi Special Forces in Yemen. He was also joined by dozens of Saudi, Emirati and Sudanese coalition troops who were killed in an OTR-21 Tochka missile strike by Houthi forces at their base near Taiz, southwestern Yemen.
- 15 Dec 2015 Russian military intervention in the Syrian Civil War and Syrian Civil War: According to the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, increased Russian airstrikes have caused humanitarian aid organizations to reduce their efforts to help the crisis in northern Syria.
- 16 Dec 2015 2015 San Bernardino Attack: Tashfeen Malik and Syed Rizwan Farook did not openly post on social media about radical Islamic jihad or martyrdom before the attack, according FBI Director James B. Comey. However, there were private messages that showed this commitment.
- 17 Dec 2015 Libyan Civil War: A U.N.-brokered deal is signed by delegates from Libya's warring factions to form a national unity government. Some of Libya's armed brigades have close ties to political leaders who oppose the agreement.
- 18 Dec 2015 Yemeni Civil War (2015-2018): Two missiles from Yemen are launched at Saudi Arabia. One missile is intercepted and destroyed by Saudi Arabia's air defenses. The other missile, however, lands close to Najran according to a coalition statement. There have been no casualties.
- 19 Dec 2015 American-led intervention, 2014-present: The American-led intervention is in Iraq. Khaled al-Obaidi, the Iraqi Defense Minister, updates Friday's casualty toll to 10 soldiers and one officer from Friday's friendly-fire airstrike close to Fallujah. U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter claims that the strike was carried out by an American plane. Carter called Haider al-Abadi, Iraq's Prime Minister, to offer condolences.
- 20 Dec 2015 Air France Flight 463, en route from Mauritius to Paris, makes an emergency landing at Mombasa in Kenya after a package believed to be a bomb was found in the toilet. Frederic Gagey, CEO of Air France, later stated that it was a false alarm. The package contained a mix of cardboard and sheets of paper as well as a timer.
- 21 Dec 2015 2015 Bagram suicide bombing. A suicide-bomb attack was carried out on a joint Afghan/U.S. patrol in Afghanistan's Parwan province. At least six U.S. troops were killed and six more were injured. Zabiullah Mojahid, the Taliban's spokesperson, claimed responsibility for the attack via a tweet.
- 22 Dec 2015 Iraqi Civil War, 2014-2017, Battle of Ramadi - The latest development in an effort to retake the city from the Islamic State of Iraq (ISIS) and the Levant, is the advance of the Iraqi Army into the middle of Ramadi.
- 23 Dec 2015 Syrian Civil War - Russian military intervention in Syria Civil War. Amnesty International reports that at least 200 civilians were killed in Russian air strikes on Syria. This indicates "serious violations by Russia of international humanitarian law". Moscow denies that it caused civilian deaths.
- 24 Dec 2015 2015 Zaria Shia Massacre: Human Rights Watch reports that Nigeria's military quickly buried the bodies of at least 300 Shia Muslims who were killed in raids on the Zaria house of Ibrahim Zakzaky in Zaria in December.
- 25 Dec 2015 According to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, Zahran Al-Islam, the founder of the Islamist rebel group Jaysh al-Islam, was killed in Russian airstrikes at a meeting east from Damascus. Other officials also died in the attack. Jaysh al-Islam was among the opposition groups that met at the December 10th conference and agreed to principles for peace negotiations, which Russia and Bashar al-Assad rejected.
- 26 Dec 2015 After a machete attack on Intu Bromley shopping center in the United Kingdom, at the busiest annual Boxing Day sales, at least one person was injured and another was arrested. It is not clear if there was any motive for the attack or a possible connection to terrorist acts.
- 27 Dec 2015 Iraqi Civil War (2014-2017: Battle of Ramadi): The Iraqi Army declares victory against Islamic State militants after their forces retake an important government building in Ramadi.
- 28 Dec 2015 Syrian Civil War: A suicide-bomb and car bomb attack in Al-Zahra, a Syrian district of Homs, has resulted in at least 32 deaths and 90 injuries. (Reuters)A United Nations agreement has allowed vehicles to transport scores of rebel-held Al-Zabadani insurgents to Turkey. Families from the two rebel-held Shi'ite towns of Idlib are also heading to the border. They will then fly to Beirut.
- 29 Dec 2015 War in North-West Pakistan. A suicide bomb attack on the NADA Regional Office in Mardan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in northwestern Pakistan leaves at least 26 dead and 45 others injured. The attack was claimed by Jamaat-ul-Ahrar militant Islamist group. This is a Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan splinter.
- 30 Dec 2015 Syrian Civil War: 2015 al-Qamishli Bombings: A number of suicide bomb attacks on Assyrian Christians celebrating New Year's Eve in restaurants in Al-Qamishli Governorate, Kurdish-controlled Syria, left at least 16 dead and 35 others injured. These bombings are believed to have been orchestrated by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 31 Dec 2015 Six people were arrested in Belgium after house raids. They were involved in a plot to celebrate New Year's Eve in Brussels, the capital of the country.
- 02 Dec 2015 San Bernardino attack: Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik kill 14 people and wound 22 at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California.
Which were the top hits in December 2015?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #5 songs in the USA
- Adele - Hello
- Justin Bieber - Sorry
- Drake - Hotline Bling
- Justin Bieber - Love Yourself
- Justin Bieber - What Do You Mean?
Which were the most popular Movies released in that month?
Which were the most popular books released in December 2015?