Tuesday 16 August 1983
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Colin Griffiths and Colt Brennan.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Every Breath You Take by The Police.
In UK Give It Up by KC & The Sunshine Band was in the top 5 hits.
The Mirror, directed by Andrey Tarkovskiy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1983
while The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Friday Night.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Sinistar or Journey.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1983!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1983 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Colin Griffiths: English TV presenter and DJ.
- Colt Brennan: American football player.
- Tomoko Honda: Japanese announcer.
- Nikolaos Zisis: Greek basketball player.
- Earl Averill: American athlete, professional baseball player for the Cleveland Indians.
- Paul Simon weds Carrie Fisher
- ''The Bill'' first airs as ''Woodentop''.
- Hurricane Alicia hits the Texas coast, killing 22 and causing over US$3.8 billion (2005 dollars) in damage.
- Five people are killed and 18 others injured when a road train is deliberately driven into a motel at Ayers Rock, NT (the driver, Douglas Edward Crabbe, is convicted in March 1984).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1983 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Police - Every Breath You Take
- Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)
- Donna Summer - She Works Hard For The Money
- Michael Sembello - Maniac
- Stevie Nicks - Stand Back
- Men At Work - It's A Mistake
- Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know
- The Human League - (Keep Feeling) Fascination
- Taco - Puttin' On The Ritz
- Culture Club - I'll Tumble 4 Ya
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?