Thursday 16 August 1984
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Ronald Reagan (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Hadrien Féraud and Matteo Anesi.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr..
In UK Careless Whisper by George Michael was in the top 5 hits.
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, directed by W.D. Richter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1984
while Lincoln by Gore Vidal was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing The Biz or Champion Boxing.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1984.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1984!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1984 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Hadrien Féraud: French jazz bass guitarist, arranger and producer.
- Matteo Anesi: Italian speed skater.
- Candice Dupree: American basketball player.
- Konstantin Vassiljev: Estonian footballer.
- Gyorgy Kosa: Composer, dies at 87.
- LA federal jury acquits auto maker John Z DeLorean on cocaine charges
- NASA launches Ampte.
- Largest harness racing purse (US$2,161,000 - Nihilator wins US$1,080,500).
- John De Lorean is acquitted of all eight charges of possessing and distributing cocaine.
- John De Lorean is acquitted of all 8 charges of possessing and distributing cocaine.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1984 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters
- Tina Turner - What's Love Got To Do With It
- Jacksons - State Of Shock
- Prince - When Doves Cry
- Lionel Richie - Stuck On You
- Dan Hartman - I Can Dream About You
- John Waite - Missing You
- Elton John - Sad Songs (Say So Much)
- Corey Hart - Sunglasses At Night
- Peabo Bryson - If Ever You're In My Arms Again
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?