January 1994 calendar
Learn the most interesting events and historical facts that happened in January 1994.
The US president was Bill Clinton (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Sir John Major (Conservative), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
But much more happened on January 1994: find out below
Which were the important events of January 1994?
- 01 Jan 1994 Flying Karamzov Brothers closes at Helen Hayes NYC after 50 performances
- 02 Jan 1994 Abe Lincoln in Illinois closes at Beaumont NYC after 40 performances
- 03 Jan 1994 An Aeroflot Tupolev TU-154 crashes and explodes after takeoff from Irkutsk, Russia, killing 125 people including one on the ground.
- 04 Jan 1994 10th largest wrestling crowd (58,000-Tokyo Dome).
- 05 Jan 1994 Zhong Weiju swims world record 25m pool record
- 06 Jan 1994 Government Inspector opens at Lyceum Theater NYC for 37 performances
- 07 Jan 1994 US female Figure Skating championship won by Tonya Harding.
- 08 Jan 1994 Russian manned space craft TM-18, launches into orbit
- 09 Jan 1994 14th United Negro College Fund raises $11,000,000
- 10 Jan 1994 Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan agree to abolish trade tariffs.
- 11 Jan 1994 Hyderabad score 6 for 944 against Andhra Pradesh in Ranji Trophy.
- 12 Jan 1994 Steve Carlton of the Philadelphia Phillies is elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- 13 Jan 1994 Italian government of Ciampi resigns.
- 14 Jan 1994 Kathleen Kinmont files for divorce from Lorenzo Lamas
- 15 Jan 1994 Hague motorist with 0.51 percent alcohol in blood, breaks Dutch record (0.47 percent).
- 16 Jan 1994 Scott skates world record 1000m (1:12.54).
- 17 Jan 1994 6.6 Earthquake hits Los Angeles killing 60, $30B in damage
- 18 Jan 1994 The Cando event, a possible bolide impact in Cando, Spain. Witnesses claim to have seen a fireball in the sky lasting for almost one minute.
- 19 Jan 1994 Record cold temperatures hit the eastern United States. The coldest temperature ever measured in Indiana state history, -36 degrees F (-38 degrees C), is recorded in New Whiteland. The coldest temperature ever measured in Ohio state history, -20 degrees F (-29 degrees C), is recorded in Cleveland.
- 20 Jan 1994 In South Carolina, Shannon Faulkner becomes the first female cadet to attend The Citadel, but soon drops out.
- 21 Jan 1994 Dow Jones Industrial Average passes 3900 (record 3,914.20).
- 22 Jan 1994 East beats West 9-8 in 45th NHL All Star Game at Madison Square Garden in New York City
- 23 Jan 1994 Bernie Kosar is second quarterback to throw touchdown passes in AFC and NFC Championship games.
- 24 Jan 1994 Dow Jones closes above 3,900 for first time (3,914.48).
- 25 Jan 1994 Accused of molesting a 13-year-old boy, Michael Jackson settles a civil lawsuit out of court.
- 27 Jan 1994 Carlos Reina succeeds President Callejas in Honduras.
- 28 Jan 1994 Actress Lorraine Bracco (39) weds actor Edward James Olmos (46)
- 30 Jan 1994 Super Bowl XXVIII: Dallas Cowboys beat Buffalo Bills, 30-13 in Atlanta Super Bowl MVP: Emmitt Smith, Dallas, RB
- 31 Jan 1994 Barcelona opera theater Gran Teatro del Liceo burns down
- See more
French writer (Executioner), dies at 81.
French actor, theater director and manager, considered by many to be France's greatest classic actor.
Cuban-American actor (Joker - Batman, Falcon Crest), dies at age 86 from bronchitis and pneumonia (born 1907).
French writer, a playwright and novelist, the author of 25 novels since 1971.
- See more