Thursday December 31, 1998, NewYear’s Eve
US date format: 12/31/1998, UK date format: 31/12/1998
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn (see birth chart on December 31, 1998). The US president was Bill Clinton (Democrat), the UK Prime Minister was Tony Blair (Labour), Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
In that special week of December people in US were listening to I'm Your Angel by R. Kelly.
In UK Believe by Cher was in the top 5 hits.
Pourquoi pas moi?, directed by Stéphane Giusti, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1998
while Charming Billy by Alice McDermott was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching See How They Run.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Genghis Khan: Aoki Ookami to Shiroki Mejika IV or Dynamite Cop.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of December 31, 1998?
- New Year's Eve on the Gregorian Calendar.
- US movie box office hits record $6.24 billion for year
- The European Exchange Rate Mechanism freezes the values of the legacy currencies in the Eurozone, and establishes the value of the euro currency.
- Ibrahim Hanna, the last native speaker of Mlahsô, dies in Qamishli, Syria, making the language effectively extinct. Also, the last native speaker of related Bijil Neo-Aramaic dies in Jerusalem.
- The first leap second since June 30, 1997 occurs. In the eurozone, the currency rates of this day are fixed permanently.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 31, 1998?
Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs, 30 day Free Trial
Top #10 songs in the USA
Top #7 songs in the UK
Top #8 R&B songs
Make this day unforgettable
Which were the most popular TV Series released in those months?
Watch popular movies, TV series and live events, start your 30-day free trial
Days to next December 31If December 31, 1998 is your birthday you're 21 years, 8 months, 27 days old and you'll celebrate your next birthday in 3 months, 4 days.
What news were making the headlines those days in December 1998?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks?
Unlimited books on any devices, try your first month free
What videogames would you be playing back in the days?
Stock Markets and Exchange Rates
- ExxonMobil XOM: opens at $74.25
- Apple AAPL: opens at $40.50
- Microsoft MSFT: opens at $139.19
- General Electric GE: opens at $102.06
- International Business Machines IBM: opens at $186.75
Frequently Asked Questions
What day of the week was on December 31, 1998?
On December 31, 1998 the day of the week was Thursday.
What zodiac sign is December 31, 1998?
On December 31, 1998 the zodiac sign was Capricorn.
Who was the US President on December 31, 1998?
On December 31, 1998 the US President was Bill Clinton (Democrat).
Who was the UK Prime Minister on December 31, 1998?
On December 31, 1998 the UK Prime Minister was Tony Blair (Labour).
Who was the Pope on December 31, 1998?
On December 31, 1998 Pope St John Paul II was leading the Catholic Church.
What was the number one song in December 31, 1998?
The number one song in the week of December 31, 1998 was I'm Your Angel by R. Kelly in US and Believe by Cher in UK.
What were the top hits on December 31, 1998?
The top hits on December 31, 1998 were I'm Your Angel by R. Kelly, Nobody's Supposed To Be Here by Deborah Cox, Lately by Divine in US and Believe by Cher, Chocolate Salty Balls (PS I Love You) by Chef, I Love The Way You Love Me by Boyzone in UK.